• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BT broadband probs, ho ho

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT broadband probs, ho ho

Just moved house. BT Yahoo Broadband not transferred very efficiently (out from Tues-Mon) and I will gloss over the difficulties of trying to get anything out of support call centre, but it is supposedly finally active from Monday, however it doesn't work. Unfortunately I'm Euro-commuting & OH is not happy. Not that I'd necessarily be able to fix it anyway.

Can anyone suggest line of attack? Netgear wireless router (which worked fine in last house) says got internet (i.e. internet connection light goes orange on power-up, then green), but web browser gets No Connection, and Netgear router wizard shows no IP number allocated.

What do I try? Only readily accessible phone sockets are extensions, would that be it? Any other common problems, or diagnostics I can use?
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

username and password stored in the router.

Comment

Do you need to register the MAC address with BT. i.e. if the connection worked when attached direct to PC and no longer works via router get it to clone the MAC.

Had something similar with NTHell

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
        Do you need to register the MAC address with BT. i.e. if the connection worked when attached direct to PC and no longer works via router get it to clone the MAC.

Had something similar with NTHell
        To answer both: you don't need to register MAC but in any case it was via same router in last house and worked OK.
        Login and password are still stored in router from last house, where it worked.

Beginning to think that (a) my stuff is the same as before, (b) BT have it activated their side, so what's left must be the problem: that's the house cabling.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
          Login and password are still stored in router from last house, where it worked.
          I'm thinking that may be the problem. Are you sure they haven't changed your username/password or reset the password? I've never kept the same details when i have moved (But then i've never kept same company either )

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
            I'm thinking that may be the problem. Are you sure they haven't changed your username/password or reset the password? I've never kept the same details when i have moved (But then i've never kept same company either )
            Allegedly unchanged, though the thought does nag. If it doesn't get fixed then neither will we

Comment

other thing to do would be ping the router. If you can't ping it you have a problem. If you can it must either be username/password or a problem at thier end.

Comment

Oh and if it doesn't ping because it is set up to ignore ping requests try arp -a in a dos box, should list the MAC code of the router if you have successfully made a connection to it even if it doesn't ping.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                  other thing to do would be ping the router. If you can't ping it you have a problem. If you can it must either be username/password or a problem at thier end.
                  I can ping the router. In fact I can see the router's admin page at http://192.168.0.1 from a PC, not to mention get rising wireless network packet counts, so that part is OK.

So it's the router's modem (incl config, pwd, etc); or BT; or what's in between. No?

Comment

What does the routers admin page say about the connection? It should give you some useful info such as is the connection available, a log to tell you what has happened with auth attempts etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X