• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BT broadband probs, ho ho

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talked to OH tonight. She got a letter from BT today, to the new address, referring to the old address, quoting the correct account number, saying that the telephone number (0xxx xxxxxx) was still active at the old address, and did she want that?

The number was one she had never heard of in her life, so she called India again, on the existing phone that was transferred from the old address to the new (except for broadband) and told then that she didn't recognise that number. Oh, they said, that's your broadband.

So she said a few things about that, got transferred here and there, and eventually spoke to someone who said No, that's not her broadband, there is no problem, everything is connected correctly.

Right. Where is my Kafka, I need some simplistic escapism.

I believe that we got the truth by mistake here, but now BT will no longer admit it: that they have transferred our phone, but not the broadband; that the other number (which may or may not actually be connected at the old address) is now activated as our broadband. So we can't connect to it no matter what we do; but BT will always see it as active no matter what they do. So they will always say (correctly) that we are connected, and we will always say (correctly) that we are not connected. How can we fix that?

I suggested changing providers. OH was reluctant: firstly, she has many subscriptions using the BT email address that she would lose, secondly, she has signed up to another min 12 months from the house move date (they make you do that). I said I'd like to see them enforce 12 months for nothing, but I suppose they would.

She has now gone to bed crying and seeimingly suicidal. If she really is, and does, you will find my real name in the papers soon. Some BT people's names will be in the same article.
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

I think the quickest way to sort this is to cancel your BT broadband and renew at your new address. (that's if happy with BT broadband. I am)
      tell them that you already have voyager & disk Whatever, and just need a new account.

You will still have to wait a few days for your user name and password, but at the moment it sounds like you are just running arround in circles.

Good luck.

Ps. when I switched to BT from NTL it took 5 days for the everything to arrive.
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Change! You don't have to lose that precious BT email address...

I had a similarly sh1te service from BT a while ago but had my BT mail since the good old dial up days and really did not want to lose it.

Simply go to the accounts page and choose to downgrade your account to a dial up pay-as-you-go account. This way the email address stays active and you can collect and send mail via the webmail system or collect mail using Outlook or whatever and send using your new ISPs SMTP servers.

Job done. Ditch them, you now have no reason to deal with thier bloated ineptitude and shoddy customer service.

Oh yeah, the PAYG dial up account is handy for the laptop while out and about too...

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
          I suggested changing providers. OH was reluctant: firstly, she has many subscriptions using the BT email address that she would lose
          I ditched BT Broadband about 3 years ago. But I can still log onto the email account through the Webmail access. They don't seem to have switched it off even after all this time.

I have stopped looking at it now though because the amount of junk mail it gets is truly horrific.

Comment

Originally posted by chubba
            Change! You don't have to lose that precious BT email address...

I had a similarly sh1te service from BT a while ago but had my BT mail since the good old dial up days and really did not want to lose it.

Simply go to the accounts page and choose to downgrade your account to a dial up pay-as-you-go account. This way the email address stays active
            Useful info, thanks.

Comment

there are a couple of test id/passwords that you can put in to the router to test the connection. They route through to servers withing BT's infrastructure network and are used only for testing. If they work then its the user id/password that you have.

I'll try and find a linky.

edit :

try looking at these

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/bttest.htm

http://www.more-solutions.co.uk/supp...test-user.html

Comment

Update

The test passwords didn't work, even when connected to the Master socket (thanks for suggestions though guys).

I called a networking acquaintace, and he had me look in the router admin page & got to the bottom of it right away: have ADSL connection, don't have broadband. Called BT Home Help (paying service) and they found the same (their first line test gave non-useful results so they had to do another).

Still took multiple calls to India, where they basically started off every time with "please tell me what lights are on on the router". Finally after 3 hours I got through to a UK tech guy, who listened to what I said, and confirmed that the line test results were "inconclusive" (to India, of course, they conclusively proved that it must be my router).

..... many more calls that I can not bring myself to relive. Some examples include the person who made me find a network cable to connect the PC to the router, when I said that I could not only ping it but even open the router's admin page; and the one who wanted me to disable firewall and antivirus on the PC. And they ALL ignored the 3 tech guys mentioned above - 2 of them BT - who all agreed that I have ADSL but no BT Broadband .....

Finally, have an engineer coming round on Friday to test from the house. My partner insists that it would be illegal to lock the door after he comes in, and made me promise not to.

BTW to go with this callout, I do have a direct line phone number to BT Tech support in the UK. To use it, I need the specific PIN, which is valid for only 2 weeks.

Have BT no shame? So little do they want to talk to paying customers who have no service, that they PIN-protect their support phone? I have not heard worse since Mugabe got to nominate the UN commissioner for sustainable development.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear all this EC. I have found BT the most tulipe company to contact if things go wrong. I once had to write to the Company Chairman to get something simple sorted out.

Comment

It is rarer to find happiness in a man surrounded by the miracles of technology than among people living in the desert or the jungle and who by the standards set by our society would be considered destitute and out of touch.
                    -- Thor Heyerdahl

Comment

Working...
                    X