• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BT broadband probs, ho ho

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had similar problems, although fortunately with BT Business Broadband so it was easier to deal with the service centre. Try :-

- Getting them to confirm the network userid and password and then re-inputting it on the router. Reboot it the router.

- Get them to test the connection by giving you the test userid and password.

- Use wired connections for testing. Use the BT master box to connect the router so there is none of your own equipment in the way.

- Make sure every telephone outlet with a device connected has an ADSL filter. If necessary disconnect all unecessary devices.

I even tried the original BT wired router to prove it wasn't my equipment.

My problem was actually at the exchange, but it took a week of testing and messing about connecting, disconnecting and trying things to convince them that although their system said I had a physical ADSL signal and the account was live, the exchange was not actually connecting me through to the broadband system.

When you get connected, make sure they give you a refund for any days lost.
    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
      What does the routers admin page say about the connection? It should give you some useful info such as is the connection available, a log to tell you what has happened with auth attempts etc.
      Well, I'm a bit hazy on that because I'm in Germany and the router in England, but basically it seems to say that there is a connection but no IP addr has been allocated. Don't know how to get to the log. Must have a look at weekend but would like all possible ideas to try - because we're away most of the weekend and then I'm back at work, so I have little time to fix it.

I know, I know, why am I spending all week away from home if it doesn't give me enough money to get a tech in?
      God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Sounds like a f**k up BT's end tbh. Get your wife to phone the hell desk

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
          Sounds like a f**k up BT's end tbh. Get your wife to phone the hell desk
          She has done, literally for hours, and now refuses to talk to India again. They now maintain that it is working their end and there is nothing more they can do.

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
            I had similar problems, although fortunately with BT Business Broadband so it was easier to deal with the service centre. Try :-

- Getting them to confirm the network userid and password and then re-inputting it on the router. Reboot it the router.

- Get them to test the connection by giving you the test userid and password.

- Use wired connections for testing. Use the BT master box to connect the router so there is none of your own equipment in the way.

- Make sure every telephone outlet with a device connected has an ADSL filter. If necessary disconnect all unecessary devices.

I even tried the original BT wired router to prove it wasn't my equipment.

My problem was actually at the exchange, but it took a week of testing and messing about connecting, disconnecting and trying things to convince them that although their system said I had a physical ADSL signal and the account was live, the exchange was not actually connecting me through to the broadband system.

When you get connected, make sure they give you a refund for any days lost.
            Thanks, yes that's what I'm worried about. I want to try what I can of these things, but I don't think I can find the original router any more, especially not after the move.

Comment

Stupid question - is there a manual 'connect' button in the config screen? Some routers show the line status (e.g. Showtime) and then the actual ISP connection.

Other than that, the dudes over at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ are really helpful usually (in the forum).

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
                Allegedly unchanged, though the thought does nag. If it doesn't get fixed then neither will we
                To confirm this, go to the BT Yahoo Homepage and login using your account details.

If you can login, then your existing account details are obviously still valid.

If not, the monkeys at BT have changed them.

Comment

In addition, it pays to have a set of brand new replacement cables available in case they take that route. I had two completely parallel setups (routers, cables, PC's) just to prove it wasn't a problem at my end.

The problem with the call centre is that they're used to dealing with the typical consumer who doesn't know their RJ45 from their elbow.

You could pay a lot for a local techie to come round and argue with BT all day.

Don't they do a service where a BT engineer comes round and sets it up for you ? It might be cheaper to go this route, then any problem is their problem.

It's called BT IT Home Install :

http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cf...7&p_faqid=9645
                  Last edited by oraclesmith; 4 July 2007, 16:03.
                  It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
                    To confirm this, go to the BT Yahoo Homepage and login using your account details.

If you can login, then your existing account details are obviously still valid.

If not, the monkeys at BT have changed them.
                    I can do that with the BT Yahoo user login, but the broadband login is not the same as that, though it is similar ([email protected] for user, [email protected] for broadband login).

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
                      In addition, it pays to have a set of brand new replacement cables available in case they take that route. I had two completely parallel setups (routers, cables, PC's) just to prove it wasn't a problem at my end.

The problem with the call centre is that they're used to dealing with the typical consumer who doesn't know their RJ45 from their elbow.

You could pay a lot for a local techie to come round and argue with BT all day.

Don't they do a service where a BT engineer comes round and sets it up for you ? It might be cheaper to go this route, then any problem is their problem.
                      2 days before we left the old house, the connection there died. India maintained that the connection was OK so it must be at my end, and had me checking all my connections etc. When I confirmed that I had tried it with 2 different sockets, 2 filters, 2 cables, and 2 PCs, they jumped on the only thing I didn't have 2 of and said it must be my router, but since it wasn't a BT model they couldn't support it (never mind that BT sell Netgear routers) and I would have to call the manufacturer for help. After over an hour I managed to get to someone in the UK on Order Management (by mistake I think) who confirmed that the connection was not OK, it had been disconnected, 2 days early for no apparent reason. They suggested that I make a "request" for reconnection, which would take 5 days!

So I'd advise a double setup too. And keep the original BT modem for ever.

Comment

Working...
                      X