• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Repairing car paintwork

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends on how old the car is, it's value and how many are being broken. I got a replacement bonnet for £50 fitted + £20 gas money. The old one was scratched and dented, not a mark on the new one.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Bolt hit my bonnet on the motorway and taken a right chunk out.
      Be careful if you use a pressure washer on it. That's what started peeling the clear coat, around the stone chip, on mine.

I've stopped using a pressure washer altogether because I'm convinced it was also what caused peeling on the alloy wheels.
      Last edited by woody1; 13 June 2024, 10:58.

Comment

I decided to have a go with the rattle cans. It took 3 attempts to get a decent result. I can share how I did it, what worked and what didn't work, if anyone is interested.

I wouldn't recommend trying it unless you've got an old low-value car, or are prepared to pay a bodyshop as a fallback.

Comment

You are Edd China and I claim my five rattle cans of some obscure colour.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            You are Edd China and I claim my five rattle cans of some obscure colour.
            If it wasn't for WD I probably wouldn't have had the (possibly misplaced) confidence to give it a go.

Picked up a lot of useful tips from that programme. Like buying cheap used/salvaged parts off a certain internet auction site. Recently got an ABS pump for £79, versus the best part of £2k for a new one from Audi.

The mechanic at the local garage, who installed the pump for me, said that in recent years manufacturers have made it more difficult to do this by tying parts to the ECU. They've even seen this with basic stuff like electric window and wing mirror actuators. When a new part is installed it syncs with the ECU, meaning it won't work in another vehicle. You can still go down the reconditioning route with some parts but in a lot of cases you've got no choice but to pay dealer (aka stealer) prices.
            Last edited by woody1; 9 July 2024, 11:32.

Comment

Working...
            X