• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Walking/hiking boots

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walking/hiking boots

For the past 20 years or so I've sworn by Berghaus Trek suede/fabric walking boots but recently the durability seems to have gone down. A pair used to last me about 5 years but, with the current ones, the soles have worn down after 18 months. Coupled with this, the price of them has nearly doubled in the past 2 years.

I've heard good things about Karrimor, and these are about a third of the price of Berghaus.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Originally posted by woody1 View Post
    For the past 20 years or so I've sworn by Berghaus Trek suede/fabric walking boots but recently the durability seems to have gone down. A pair used to last me about 5 years but, with the current ones, the soles have worn down after 18 months. Coupled with this, the price of them has nearly doubled in the past 2 years.

I've heard good things about Karrimor, and these are about a third of the price of Berghaus.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    I have a few pairs of Karrimor boots. They have lasted quite a while. I think I bought the latest pair just before lockdown and they are in excellent condition. With my health issues, I find them quite comfortable.
    Sports Direct often have them on special offer or heavily discounted in store so look out for that. I know shopping at Sports Direct is no ones idea of un but in this case its worth it. IMHO only.
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Comment

Zamberlan are good: https://www.uttings.co.uk/c466-footw...and=zamberlan/

Or go British, with Altberg: https://www.altberg.co.uk
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I've had Karrimor previously the quality has gone down since Sports Direct bought them as another distressed brand to add to their collection. I've now switched to using Timberland boots.
        Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Scarpa for me - https://www.scarpa.co.uk/

I'm planning on walking a good length of the Camino de Santiago next year and I've just ordered a new pair to break in during training. My last pair lasted easily nine years with pretty heavy usage.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
            I've had Karrimor previously the quality has gone down since Sports Direct bought them as another distressed brand to add to their collection. I've now switched to using Timberland boots.
            The last few pairs I've had were Karrimor's as well and I thought it was just me as I'd noticed this as well but that said I keep an eye on the sales/discounts and just happy to get a pair when the price is right and turn them over a bit quicker than I might have in the old days. Cheap enough not to worry about the quality so far, just replace them earlier if need be but I don't really track how long I've had them if you get me so still happy enough with them.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X