• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shared storage - plus IP Cameras and laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shared storage - plus IP Cameras and laptop

I'm thinking of getting a new laptop (just because really) and had the following thoughts.

a) I don't need hi-spec cos it's just for browsing, a bit of Excel/office and mail.
    (I don't do gaming and tulip)
    b) I am an old git with failing eye-site - so a BIG screen would be good
    c) I don't really need massive disks or anything (and smaller disk boxes seem to be loads cheaper - I'd rather pay a premium for screen than disk).

but (bear with me here)
    MrsD and Dacty-ettes and and me I guess have quite a lot of photos and gumph that are scattered around various devices so:

c) Some sort of shared storage (SAN?/NAS? whatever) would be useful

So looking at various Synology solutions I saw reference to IP cameras.....

And MrsD has various battery powered WiFi "security" cameras scattered about.
    (I think the current lot are B-Link but could be Arlo or whatever)
    Anyhoo they chuck video clips up to some subscription cloud storage...

So I got to thinking:
    If I got a new laptop - with a smallish disk but a big screen
    Got some sort of SAN - with an excess of disk
    Some generic IP Cameras
    I could:
    Happily browse the interweb and enjoy a Pot Noodle
    MrsD could watch birds or deer or foxes or whatever picked up on our IP Cameras
    and the images/clips could be stored in "my" cloud (rather than well "mycloud")
    and all family photos and tulip could be stored locally accessible by "anyone" from "anywhere".

If you've got this far:
    Any recommendations for:
    Big screen laptop
    SAN
    Compatible cameras (ideally battery powered - as I don't want wires everywhere and existing ones get moved about quite a lot)

TIA

What you using for office? Could you not use Onedrive for your storage? I has a Synology NAS which worked but since I've bunged it all on Onedrive I've junked the NAS. Is that not an option?

Never really got the hang of the camera stuff with NAS but I have a proper CCTV system at home so didn't really need to bother with the cameras option on the NAS. Only the ringdoor bell and night time doggy cam but happy to use the separate apps for those.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Got a WD NAS here.
      Excellent bit of kit
      Former IPSE member
      My Website

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        What you using for office? Could you not use Onedrive for your storage? I has a Synology NAS which worked but since I've bunged it all on Onedrive I've junked the NAS. Is that not an option?

Never really got the hang of the camera stuff with NAS but I have a proper CCTV system at home so didn't really need to bother with the cameras option on the NAS. Only the ringdoor bell and night time doggy cam but happy to use the separate apps for those.
        I do use Onedrive but that's "just" for "Work" stuff...... Invoices, Expenses and tulip...

Seriously - pretty trivial stuff all stored in a single directory - that I copy out every week(ish) to other physical media (I rotate a couple of plugin drives) so that is pretty well "backed up".
        I doub't if that'd be more than a few dozen Gb.

For photos/video etc - GrandKids, daughters, various pets etc etc....

I also have a Ring....... but I don't really care about storing that long term...

The dogs/bunnies/visiting birds/foxes/badgers etc etc that are currently Arlo or B-Link........ the subscriptions aren't really expensive... but saving stuff (that MrsD wants to browse longer term eg Following Fox cubs growth etc) is just a bit of a faff...

Comment

Arlo cameras (at least the ones I'm using), I've never managed to get them to save onto a shared drive, but I can save them to USB stick plugged in to the back of the Arlo hub, then unplug it and manually copy onto a drive at a later stage.
          I don't pay any subscription for them, and get 7 days rolling storage online free.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Arlo cameras (at least the ones I'm using), I've never managed to get them to save onto a shared drive, but I can save them to USB stick plugged in to the back of the Arlo hub, then unplug it and manually copy onto a drive at a later stage.
            I don't pay any subscription for them, and get 7 days rolling storage online free.
            That sounds about right for Arlo - I think we used to have them - fairly neat "blob" cameras... but bright white and stood out like a sore thumb.
            I think we dropped them when some scrote knicked a couple... then moved to the B-Link.. small square cameras and black - so once you turn off the led almost invisible. Only thing - not that stable.. 2.5 inches wide by about 3/4 deep... not the most rigid/stable and the bloody things get knocked over easily... and as MrsD never remembered where she had moved them to (and never took a fresh thumbnail) if they fell over they were a b*gger to find! (spent many a "fun" hour either walking round the garden trying to hear the calls of "I'm over here" or shouting through the tulip 2-way sound system...)

tbh cameras are just a thought... you know... a lame justification for a 'boy toy'... ;-)

Comment

Working...
            X