• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using two diff docking stations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using two diff docking stations

So I have the company own Thinkpad T480s with Lenovo docking station.

Client co have given me a nice hp with it's own DS. End of working day I move keyboard/mouse, ethernet and DP monitor cables from one ds to t'other.

Shirley there is a better way ?

qh
    Last edited by quackhandle; 4 January 2024, 14:58.
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Is the Lenovo one that connects via USB-C or USB-A?
    Which model HP DS is it?
    Have you tried just plugging laptop A into DS B, or the other way around?

I seem to remember having a client HP laptop running through a Lenovo DS a couple of years ago.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I have a KVM coming tomorrow in order to resolve a similar requirement... would have gone the 'new monitor with inbuilt KVM' had I been able to put a better business case before my finance director.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Is the Lenovo one that connects via USB-C or USB-A?
        Which model HP DS is it?
        Have you tried just plugging laptop A into DS B, or the other way around?

I seem to remember having a client HP laptop running through a Lenovo DS a couple of years ago.
        hp elitebook, ds is thunderbolt G4.

Lenovo has usb-C into the thinkpad, whereas hp has power and usb-c into the elitebook.

To be fair I haven't tried the hp laptop with the Lenovo ds, you just assume incompatibility; will give it a go.

qh
        Last edited by quackhandle; 4 January 2024, 19:08.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
          I have a KVM coming tomorrow in order to resolve a similar requirement... would have gone the 'new monitor with inbuilt KVM' had I been able to put a better business case before my finance director.
          The RTI on my 'monitor with KVM' has been remarkable, best purchase I ever made. If your laptop has USB-C then just plug in and go. It's worked with everything I've chucked at it. Although the Dell Latitude does get a bit grumpy about what it perceives as unplugging / replugging in USB devices and simply shuts down all USB functionality, requiring a reboot to restore it.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

hp elitebook, ds is thunderbolt G4.

Lenovo has usb-C into the thinkpad, whereas hp has power and usb-c into the elitebook.

To be fair I haven't tried the hp laptop with the Lenovo ds, you just assume incompatibility; will give it a go.

qh
            Looks like it should work if your HP will support USB-c for running the monitor…
            https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/pd500547
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Looks like it should work if your HP will support USB-c for running the monitor…
              https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/pd500547
              Indeed it does. I get the "we recommend using a hp power supply" but seems okay so far.

qh

Comment

USB Multihub and just switch over?
                Former IPSE member
                My Website

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                  Update further to 'day 1' with KVM: excellent. Would have liked a new monitor as per LM's contribution, but I'm pretty bloody pleased for ~£30 from Amazon warehouse (linky). There's a short delay to switch over, but it's not annoying so. Would recommend.
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                  Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Working...
                  X