• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Chrome getting more forgetful?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Chrome getting more forgetful?

I tend to build orders on websites by putting things I need or might need in my basket and then coming back to refine at the end -often this can be spread over a day or more when planning a project.

The last few days, I keep finding my basket has emptied and I have to start again. Many/most sites don't provide a 'save' button and often I haven't created an account with the site anyway until I decide I want to buy from them - I may be building the same order on two sites to get a comparative price.
    I also seem to see pages re-request cookies far more commonly than they used to, and sites like Screwfix/Toolstation forget my chosen local store now after what seems like only a few hours - I have to reset this every time whereas before it would remember.

Has Google made changes in Chrome somehow which might be to blame - is this all related to cookies or something else? It's pretty irritating.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Not sure it's related but summit screwy with Chrome recently. Often unresponsive, not just in loading websites but anything, accessing options or creating new tab etc. Tried updating, turning off extensions and other tips online. None work.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It's always been my experience that many sites will just dump your basket contents after a certain period if there's no more activity. If these are sites you've used before, perhaps they've started shortening that period?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Not sure it's related but summit screwy with Chrome recently. Often unresponsive, not just in loading websites but anything, accessing options or creating new tab etc. Tried updating, turning off extensions and other tips online. None work.
        I found it gradually getting worse over the last year or two in terms of performance and memory hogging. Did same as you, uninstalled extensions, fiddled about with settings etc. TBH I think it's a dreadful browser now.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
          It's always been my experience that many sites will just dump your basket contents after a certain period if there's no more activity. If these are sites you've used before, perhaps they've started shortening that period?
          Maybe but it seems to be across the board, and typically it wouldn't be only a few hours. I see sites seem to log me out far more frequently as well (CUK is a rare exception that virtually never does).
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Stop using it soon. So slow and often freezes, using about 32% of my CPU and 70% of my memory.
            bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Never really use Chrome, more of a Firefox person.

Comment

<deleted>Ah! Found what problem is, Chrome is running umpteen times in Task Manager. Dunno why.</deleted>

Ah, no, that was bulwarks, not the problem. Some programs do have multiple processes. Edge has even more and I haven't even used it today. Seems to be no way of finding out which process is which unfortunately.
                Last edited by xoggoth; 23 April 2023, 08:12.
                bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                X