• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Problems with home network

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this definitely only a problem with one PC and Chrome?

Can you run both IPv4 and IPv6 continuous pings from the PC to the hub to check whether one or both protocols is dropping any packets?

Comment

Out of practice at this, but disconnects because of bad cabling giving too many retries and packet drops are different to disconnects from multiple IP address errors. Extended ping will show the first, turning off IPv6 would point at the second.

Only other possibly silly thought is do you have two DNS managers, e.g. the router and one PC...?
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        So... pulled the network apart. Good time to clean cables up and do a ton of tidying so quite pleased I did it. I did find the network cable from the PC in to the wall wasn't clicked in properly it seemed. Was an old cable so swapped it out as well.

Hey presto. Seemed to get a log with all the normal mixed tech stuff I expected to see. No disconnect messages. Could it have been crap cable/not pushed in? Either way been working quite happily.

Just notw got another disconnect error. Went to the logs and it's the same again. Lots of discovery events.

Now playing with my BT Home Hub I've just noticed my PC is showing in the IPv4 table but it's also in the IPv6 table. Is that right? It can have both or could this be where the problem lies?

I see I have both IPv4 and IPv6 ticked in the Ehternet properties of my adapter. Should I just switch off v4?
        v4 and v6 addresses are fine.
        In most cases you will only use v4 as most internet services resolve DNS to v4 addresses only.
        v6 isn't used much other than at the carrier tier, but if you turn it off there is a risk that some services might not function correctly.

DON'T TURN OFF V4!!!
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

DON'T TURN OFF V4!!!
          +1

Since Chrome uses IPv6 by default, if you're seeing odd behaviour only with Chrome on the PC, disabling IPv6 on the PC would be a sensible step to problem identification.

Comment

Working...
          X