• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Problems with home network

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with home network

Been having some problems with connection dropping at home. Doesn't seem to affect much, just get a popup at the bottom left of Chrome say connection disconnected then restored a few seconds later.

The BT Hub log was full of ppp: sending padi every 5 seconds. Rebooted and that's gone but now I'm getting a a hose of discovery and DHCP requests. Log is below. I am guessing I might have to disconnect all devices and plug in one by one but anyone any ideas why I might be getting all this?

20:43:22, 04 Apr.
    Lan IPv6 Neighbour Discovery events: NEIGHBOR_SOLICIT

20:43:21, 04 Apr.
    Receive a DHCP request

20:43:15, 04 Apr.

20:43:14, 04 Apr.

20:43:14, 04 Apr.

20:43:10, 04 Apr.

20:42:54, 04 Apr.

20:42:53, 04 Apr.
    Receive a DHCP request

20:42:50, 04 Apr.

Receive a DHCP request

20:41:45, 04 Apr.

20:41:45, 04 Apr.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Well apart from it being BT nowt you can do about it because it's normal behaviour https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighb...overy_Protocol
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Is this something that has just started happening, and it was working fine prior to this?

Anything at all changed on your network?

If it persists, perhaps you could see if BT would swap out the hub.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

When you say you're having problems with connection dropping, do you mean the wifi connection from your device to the hub, or do you mean from the hub out to the
        world?

Do you get the same issue with devices that are wired to the router?

Which BT router are you using?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Well apart from it being BT nowt you can do about it because it's normal behaviour https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighb...overy_Protocol
          Yeah I read that but surely not every 5 seconds? Also after a DHCP request I would have thought there would have been extra activity like DHCP assigned, not just a request.

I've seen disconnection and reconnection messages for awhile but it's only yesterday it's actually resulted in a website error.

Nothing has changed
          It's my PC wired to the home network, appears to be just my PC but dunno if other devices are just pausing while it re-connects.
          Latest BT Hub but I've also got an Asus with the 4 antenna as well.

Must admit I've been very tempted to buy a 3rd party device as there is a lot of noise about the default routers from suppliers being bad but I find it hard to believe the latest router from BT is that bad it doesn't actually do what it should if you get me.

When I've time this evening I'm going to do a a full teardown. Disconnect the Asus Router, turn wifi off start with my only my PC on the wired network and then reconnect everything to see if it's one device causing a fault.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Latest BT Hub but I've also got an Asus with the 4 antenna as well.
            Stupid question, but how are IP addresses being assigned?

And if it's just your PC, could you give it a static address, and then set the dynamic range to exclude it?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Also, are you running both IPv4 and IPv6 on the internal network? Does disabling IPv6 make a difference?

It's unlikely to be the issue, but just check that the DHCP lease time is not misconfigured.

Edit:Re the Hub and the Asus devices. Is the Hub providing the DHCP allocations and the Asus device configured only as an Access Point?
              Last edited by Protagoras; 5 April 2023, 11:18.

Comment

I'm with WHTF and Protagoras on this. Sounds awfully like a DNS lease parameter is wrong. Unless you have a duplicate IP somewhere along the line.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post
                  Also, are you running both IPv4 and IPv6 on the internal network? Does disabling IPv6 make a difference?

It's unlikely to be the issue, but just check that the DHCP lease time is not misconfigured.

Edit:Re the Hub and the Asus devices. Is the Hub providing the DHCP allocations and the Asus device configured only as an Access Point?
                  I don't know anything about IPv4 and 6 really but I'll readup.

No just a router now. Got the Asus for the more powerful Wifi as my house appears to work like a faraday cage. Can't get wifi through two rooms but the new BT is just as powerful so the Asus is nothing more than a router to the hardwired points now.

Static address for PC is a good idea. I've excluded a number of IP's i've already fixed so will add the PC when I pull it apart tonight.

The duplicate IP is something I thought of as well but didn't think that can happen as I've excluded a few items from DHCP and are fixed. Deffo no clash on the fixed ones.

Some good points. thanks all.

Comment

So... pulled the network apart. Good time to clean cables up and do a ton of tidying so quite pleased I did it. I did find the network cable from the PC in to the wall wasn't clicked in properly it seemed. Was an old cable so swapped it out as well.

Hey presto. Seemed to get a log with all the normal mixed tech stuff I expected to see. No disconnect messages. Could it have been crap cable/not pushed in? Either way been working quite happily.

Just notw got another disconnect error. Went to the logs and it's the same again. Lots of discovery events.

Now playing with my BT Home Hub I've just noticed my PC is showing in the IPv4 table but it's also in the IPv6 table. Is that right? It can have both or could this be where the problem lies?

I see I have both IPv4 and IPv6 ticked in the Ehternet properties of my adapter. Should I just switch off v4?
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 5 April 2023, 21:28.

Comment

Working...
                    X