• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Desktop browsers which use less data?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop browsers which use less data?

I've searched the web but didn't find anything conclusive.

There are smartphone browsers like Opera Mini, that supposedly uses quite a lot less, which can be used on a PC using an android emulator but I don't know what the browsing experience would be like.

Anyone looked into this at all?
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

What do you mean less data? Because a web page is going to be xMb in size regardless of the browser you use.

Opera mini only uses a lot less because it adds a third party in the middle to modify things
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      What do you mean less data? Because a web page is going to be xMb in size regardless of the browser you use.

Opera mini only uses a lot less because it adds a third party in the middle to modify things
      Yes, you're probably right.

Having a decent ad blocker probably makes the biggest difference. Apparently, some browsers like Brave block other stuff too (tracking?). Opera used to have a turbo feature which compressed the data, which I guess is what's in Mini.

But any differences are probably just on the margins.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Lynx and Charlotte, both text only... :-)
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I'm sensing a theme - first Win11 data and now browser data.

Did you skimp on hard drive size when buying a new PC and now can't run anything?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I'm sensing a theme - first Win11 data and now browser data.

Did you skimp on hard drive size when buying a new PC and now can't run anything?
            No, it's the broadband data it's been eating up.

We have a 20Gb/month allowance, and previously we rarely went above 10Gb. This new Win11 laptop has been chewing through it.

Comment

Are you using mobile data as your sole internet provider?

I can consume 20gb in just under 3 minutes.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Oh internet. I didn't realise capped access was still a thing unless, as eek says, you're using mobile data.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Are you using mobile data as your sole internet provider?

I can consume 20gb in just under 3 minutes.
                  Yep. We used to have landline broadband but it was forever going down, and getting OpenReach to fix it was an absolute PITA. We live out in the sticks and it's all overhead telephone lines. It's a very windy place, which causes a lot of faults. We also get farmers occasionally taking out the lines with machinery, not to mention careless folk with shotguns shooting the wires!

Comment

Crazy idea - why not increase your allowance, if you’re using more than it or constantly trying to reduce usage?

Either that, or put the TV into SD mode when watching streaming services, and run fewer devices.
                    Then the next thing is to look at the websites you visit, e.g. facebook. Change the settings on the website so that it doesn’t auto play every video that you scroll past, and put it into Data Saver mode too (go to Settings>> Preferences>> Media)
                    Then look at who all is connecting and what they are using it for.

Also, if you’re doing a lot of video calls, you’ll be sucking data.

A while back our beach house had low speed internet, so I upped my mobile phone to 30GB (cost about £20 a month). That was enough for work and a bit of photography, but not daily TV streaming.

Switching web browser will not drastically reduce usage, unless you go text only.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X