• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Inverters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #21
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

    I'd have no confidence that I'd be able to rely on a generator when I needed it.
    Yep, those who rely on generators for emergency power have to test them frequently (e.g. monthly)

    Comment


      #22
      Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

      That's why I don't want to get a generator. We live less than a mile from the sea, and anything left in our damp old garage just rots. I'd have no confidence that I'd be able to rely on a generator when I needed it.

      At least with an inverter, it's small and I can keep it indoors.
      Yesterday's Wheeler Dealers S12 ep 16 with the Citroen HY van showed the kind of inverter and battery necessary for running stuff taking kW: the battery is big & the inverter is bigger.

      The 12V connecting leads were even more impressive, as was the size of the electric crimp crimping machine.

      https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C914124

      When the restoration took place, a full masterworks inverter/ charger system was installed. This has since been removed professionally and can be negotiated as part of the sale. This system cost £6k to fit and can be included in the sale.
      .

      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 21 September 2022, 12:16.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

      Comment


        #23
        Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

        Yesterday's Wheeler Dealers S12 ep 16 with the Citroen HY van showed the kind of inverter and battery necessary for running stuff taking kW: the battery is big & the inverter is bigger.

        The 12V connecting leads were even more impressive, as was the size of the electric crimp crimping machine.
        There may be a typo in there. It says 'masterworks' but the inverter looks like a MasterVolt from the colour scheme ...?
        Note also the use of an AGM battery which is much more tolerant of deep discharges than ordinary lead acid ones.
        I didn't spot the fuses in the video but rating these is interesting too!

        Comment


          #24
          Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Ah, good old Edd China. WD was never the same without him. Can barely watch the later series, with Brewer getting fatter, sweatier and generally more odious.

          I've watched series 1 onwards on Quest god knows how many times. Favourite episode was probably the Lambo but I do remember the Citroen van conversion.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

          Comment


            #25
            Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

            There may be a typo in there. It says 'masterworks' but the inverter looks like a MasterVolt from the colour scheme ...?
            Note also the use of an AGM battery which is much more tolerant of deep discharges than ordinary lead acid ones.
            I didn't spot the fuses in the video but rating these is interesting too!
            Thanks for that:

            https://www.cactusnav.com/mastervolt...oaAiVFEALw_wcB

            150A, 3kW. No wonder he could boil a kettle.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

            Comment


              #26
              Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              150A, 3kW. No wonder he could boil a kettle.
              Fortunately, low wattage kettles are available.
              I have a 600W one, it does take a while to boil the water though.

              Comment


                #27
                Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

                That's why I don't want to get a generator. We live less than a mile from the sea, and anything left in our damp old garage just rots. I'd have no confidence that I'd be able to rely on a generator when I needed it.

                At least with an inverter, it's small and I can keep it indoors.
                Has anyone already suggested the modern battery-pack alternative to a generator? I've seen a couple of semi-survivalist types on YouTube review - and be really impressed by - products like EcoFlow. Basically a large Lithium battery that replaces a generator for shorter periods and is portable as well as silent (they liked the silent part so nobody knew you had power if there was an outage).
                The nice thing being you can charge it from mains/car and even solar panels while it's in use. You don't need an inverter and you don't need a constant power source.
                They are somewhat pricey though. https://www.hampshiregenerators.co.u...power-station/
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

                Comment


                  #28
                  Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  They are somewhat pricey though.
                  Indeed. £1500 versus less than 50 quid for an inverter.
                  Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

                  Comment


                    #29
                    get a decent leisure battery. Car battery is designed for short term, high current use.

                    AGM batteries are probably the best and designed for repeated use.
                    For occasional use a bog standard Halfords leisure battery will be fine. They do a variety of sizes (in watt hours).
                    See You Next Tuesday

                    Comment


                      #30
                      Lidl(tm) are offering inverters at the moment.

                      I wonder if they know something we don't.

                      If they start offering leisure batteries and petrol generators too I'll start to worry a bit.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X