• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Real World Lifespan of a Low Energy Light Bulb

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    We've only ever had issues with spotlights. The LED GLS bulbs (60W/100W replacements) seem to last fine.
    Maybe you've been lucky or me unlucky I've had quite a lot of GLS candle style bulbs fail - we have several large fittings each taking 4-6 bulbs and had individual bulbs go quite a lot at the start.
    My main peeve is buying 3 11W bulbs for a nice fitting and then one goes, and the next one you buy is never exactly the same. Bit of OCD on my part
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      My main peeve is buying 3 11W bulbs for a nice fitting and then one goes, and the next one you buy is never exactly the same. Bit of OCD on my part
      Not just you, drives me nuts as well as the LED arrangement in the device varies wildly. Looks awful if they aren't the same.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

+1 for the OCD gang. Mis-matching light bulbs is a disappointing sight

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post
          So, it seems that I'm not alone!

My other concern with this LED technology is re-cycling.
          This makes for quite depressing reading.

https://www.agencyofdesign.co.uk/pro...my-lightbulbs/
          Trying to figure where to send lightbulbs is a right PITA.

Comment

That's why, when I found a spotlight that lasted a year or so, and I liked the brightness/beam angle/colour etc, I bought a shed load. I didn't bother checking if Wickes still stocked them, because it was easier to just buy multi-packs off eBay (from private sellers).

Only trouble is, since I bought the shed load, none have failed.

--------------

This may be a red herring but I wonder if the reason the Wickes ones are reliable is that they are made by CREE. They are one of the leading manufacturers with a reputation for quality.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

We've been in our current house for over 15 years and none of the halogen bulbs in our bedroom have had to be replaced. Conversely, we had a new bathroom installed with six ceiling low energy LED lights and half of them lasted less than a year.

My missus hates LED lights, she thinks the light isn't warm enough. I know they are getting better but I still prefer the old halogen bulbs despite their faults.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                We've been in our current house for over 15 years and none of the halogen bulbs in our bedroom have had to be replaced. Conversely, we had a new bathroom installed with six ceiling low energy LED lights and half of them lasted less than a year.

My missus hates LED lights, she thinks the light isn't warm enough. I know they are getting better but I still prefer the old halogen bulbs despite their faults.
                As I mentioned above, I've found these very good. They seem to last, and have a nice bright but warm light, very comparable with halogen. They're even in a glass housing like the halogen ones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402879526171
                Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                  My missus hates LED lights, she thinks the light isn't warm enough.
                  You can choose exactly what colour you want them to be.

Most LED bulbs I've seen tend to be 2700/2800K to match incandescent bulbs, which are actually more yellow than halogen (3000K). I much prefer 3000K although my wife likes even whiter 4000K bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    You can choose exactly what colour you want them to be.

Most LED bulbs I've seen tend to be 2700/2800K to match incandescent bulbs, which are actually more yellow than halogen (3000K). I much prefer 3000K although my wife likes even whiter 4000K bulbs.
                    The LED ones we have are 3000K, which I find spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

The LED ones we have are 3000K, which I find spot on.
                      Yeah - I never noticed halogens were whiter until I bought some 'warm white' LEDs at 2700K and everything seemed far too dark and sleepy.

Comment

Working...
                      X