• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone ever used a thermal camera?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever used a thermal camera?

I've been thinking about using a Thermal Imaging Camera as I come to do some insulation work on the house, to identify the worst areas and to try and measure the impact and spot any bits I might have missed afterwards.

Proper commercial units cost anything up to a grand which isn't much interest. I might hire one but I see you can buy lower end models as well as units which plug into your phone - these go for maybe a couple of hundred quid and if they are any good, that's a price-point I'd consider buying one as I think it would be useful and also quite fun.

Has anyone worked with any of these and got any thoughts? Benefit of Amazon is you can return something if it's crap which might be useful here.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Benefit of Amazon is you can return something if it's crap which might be useful here.
    Or when you've finished with it. Allegedly

Comment

I bought this one 4 years ago after some research (it was just over £200 when i bought it): https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0728C7KND

Works pretty well - not as high res as the more expensive models, but was pretty good at spotting heat leaks.

Comment

No idea if this will do what you want, but it's £60 https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/m...12536948654163

And you need to have a Pi or an arduino

Comment

I bought a Blackview6600pro earlier this year from Amazon.

Flir camera included. Phone is a bit chunky and heavy though, which is ok for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            I bought this one 4 years ago after some research (it was just over £200 when i bought it): https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0728C7KND

Works pretty well - not as high res as the more expensive models, but was pretty good at spotting heat leaks.
            Thanks - that's exactly the sort of budget option I've been torn over, not sure if it was a useful product or a gimmick.

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
            I bought a Blackview6600pro earlier this year from Amazon.

Flir camera included. Phone is a bit chunky and heavy though, which is ok for me.
            And that's very interesting, given it barely costs more than the Flir and you get a rugged phone (though I haven't compared the specs).

hairymouse it looks very fun and if I were into Pi possibly a great project, but not quite my area. Thanks though
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Reminds me of the time when one of the Naughty People from up the hill nicked the very expensive (£10k 20 years ago) IR camera from Ye Olde Sloughe of Desponde & tried to flog it in the pub for £50 saying "it does work but it gives very funny pictures".
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
              X