• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google MFA Without Mobile Device

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

Could you not just have nipped out to the Carphone Whorehouse (or Cash Converters) and bought a SIM free phone, and battered your existing SIM into it ? Problem solved, in 30 mins max.
    Plenty of options near the OP

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=paw...estry%2C+Powys

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

Could you not just have nipped out to the Carphone Whorehouse (or Cash Converters) and bought a SIM free phone, and battered your existing SIM into it ? Problem solved, in 30 mins max.
      But if he did that how can he cry all day on a forum of his peers that DGAS?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        No it is difficult because at the moment I am surrounded by fowls in a temporary accommodation in countryside until my lady wife joins me and I have only a 2 wheeler for transportation. This course of action is going to take many hours off billable work. I have a new one arriving from Amazon today so my sistuation is resolving itself.

It is my opinion though that this incident highlights the many day to day tasks that we are undertaking with smartphones and our dependency on technologies like this and I don't think this is necessarily a healthy form of progress. There should always be non digital option for everything as we have to consider non digital natives and the elderly.

Also I can report that the service desk has replied to my email and they will reset 2FA so I can set up with new device

Comment

Now I'm definitely calling bull on that one. I literally do not believe that the ONLY way to contact a service desk in a modern company is to email. This is probably the access route which has been phased out the most over the years in favour of self-service portals and phone calls for the inevitable post holiday "I forgot my password" ticket.

As mentioned on another thread, where you've taken over a chat about the weekend, you're really making a mountain out of a molehill here.
          Whilst I'm sure the OP is a troll. Last time I worked at IBM this was the case. The only way to access their helpdesk was via SameTime (IBM IM), they turned off the phone lines (to save money I guess), so when I got locked out of my laptop I ended up having to contact a colleague via LinkedIn (as the phone directory was only on the Intranet).

Massively short sighted, but it does happen.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Baddish View Post
            There should always be non digital option for everything as we have to consider non digital natives and the elderly.
            You're working in IT as an IT consultant and you are demanding a non-IT solution for people who don't use IT to do your job?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post

Whilst I'm sure the OP is a troll. Last time I worked at IBM this was the case. The only way to access their helpdesk was via SameTime (IBM IM), they turned off the phone lines (to save money I guess), so when I got locked out of my laptop I ended up having to contact a colleague via LinkedIn (as the phone directory was only on the Intranet).

Massively short sighted, but it does happen.
              How recently was that?

Comment

Also I can report that the service desk has replied to my email and they will reset 2FA so I can set up with new device
                How did you manage to email them if the only means of contact is through secure company email that you can't access?

Comment

How did you manage to email them if the only means of contact is through secure company email that you can't access?
                  I texted my colleague and he sent email on my behalf and copy me in

Comment

I texted my colleague and he sent email on my behalf and copy me in
                    But your phone doesn't work?

Comment

But your phone doesn't work?
                      Not on my phone

Comment

Working...
                      X