• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pi Hole setup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pi Hole setup

Hi,

I have plugged my Raspberry Pi into my Broadband router but all my devices connect via an orbi mesh system plugged into the router

Pi Hole logs all client queries as from RBR350.lan rather than the hostname/ip of the relevant machine?

Cheers for any help

From memory Pi hole works on DNS queries so it seems that all the queries are coming from the orbi router rather than your computers directly. DNS settings for Orbi clients - NETGEAR Communities confirms that and says there is no way to get orbi to set your preferred dns settings (i.e. the pi-hole) in the DHCP it sends on each computer release renewal.

To fix that you will need to change the DNS settings to point at the pi-hole on each individual computer.

When I next update by network the orbi system I currently have will be replaced rather than upgraded - it's not the sought of thing you expect to be an issue in this day and age and I have the pro (Business) version of the orbi...
    Last edited by eek; 28 June 2022, 07:24.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      From memory Pi hole works on DNS queries so it seems that all the queries are coming from the orbi router rather than your computers directly. DNS settings for Orbi clients - NETGEAR Communities confirms that and says there is no way to get orbi to send your preferred dns settings (i.e. the pi-hole) to each computer directly.

To fix that you will need to change the DNS settings to point at the pi-hole on each individual computer because it seems orbi are trying to be clever and failing badly.

When I next update by network the orbi system I currently have will be replaced rather than upgraded.
      Hmm - what about if I add the Pi Hole to the Orbi so it is part of the 198.168.* network instead of the 192.168.0.* network

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Hmm - what about if I add the Pi Hole to the Orbi so it is part of the 198.168.* network instead of the 192.168.0.* network
        Ah - reading the link provided it looks like that will not help.Devices will still resolve with Orbi and Orbi will resolve with Pi Hole

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Ah - reading the link provided it looks like that will not help.Devices will still resolve with Orbi and Orbi will resolve with Pi Hole
          Yep - that's the problem you want the DHCP to pass in pi-hole's ip address as the main dns server and Orbi just won't let you do it... Now on one level I can see the reason for that (removes a point of failure) but it's not great.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

This thread could have had potential if they called it the Raspberry A
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              From memory Pi hole works on DNS queries so it seems that all the queries are coming from the orbi router rather than your computers directly. DNS settings for Orbi clients - NETGEAR Communities confirms that and says there is no way to get orbi to set your preferred dns settings (i.e. the pi-hole) in the DHCP it sends on each computer release renewal.

To fix that you will need to change the DNS settings to point at the pi-hole on each individual computer.

When I next update by network the orbi system I currently have will be replaced rather than upgraded - it's not the sought of thing you expect to be an issue in this day and age and I have the pro (Business) version of the orbi...
              or disable DHCP on the mesh and run DHCP services on the PI. That is the recommended Pi-hole setup when you cannot change DNS settings on DHCP. That does mean if the Pi goes down you have no internet though.

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
              X