• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Removing an array from a JSON file

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing an array from a JSON file

I have a huge JSON file (10m rows and still counting as it's not fully opened yet) however 99.9% is useless to me. There are about 2200 records in the following format

Code:
    {
    "type" : "FeatureCollection",
    "name" : "%filename%",
    "features" : [
    {
    "type" : "Feature",
    "geometry" : {=}
    "properties" : {=} 
    },
    {
    },
    ]
    }
    The problem is the geometry array (if that is the right term) is a list of co-ordinates with anything from 7 - 21 thousand lines that are useless to me, this means the overall file is 5gb+

At the moment I am going through each record and manaully deleting the array, is there a way to automate it? I don't want to spend an day going through all 2200 records just to be given a new version at some point meaning I will have to do it again.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I have a huge JSON file (10m rows and still counting as it's not fully opened yet) however 99.9% is useless to me. There are about 2200 records in the following format

Code:
    {
    "type" : "FeatureCollection",
    "name" : "%filename%",
    "features" : [
    {
    },
    {
    },
    ]
    }
    The problem is the geometry array (if that is the right term) is a list of co-ordinates with anything from 7 - 21 thousand lines that are useless to me, this means the overall file is 5gb+

At the moment I am going through each record and manaully deleting the array, is there a way to automate it? I don't want to spend an day going through all 2200 records just to be given a new version at some point meaning I will have to do it again.
    delete NameOfJsonObject.type.features.geometry would work but that only works if it's in memory.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Might be your edit but that's not valid JSON.

As you can't have line breaks in a property, you should be able to treat the 'geometry' line as a single line.

Because it's a large file, you don't want to read it all into memory in one go so this will do 5000 lines at a time:

Code:
      $batchSize = 5000

Get-Content E:\bigFile.json -ReadCount $batchSize |
      Foreach-Object {
      $_ -replace "^\W*`"geometry`".+,$" |
      Where-Object { -not [String]::IsNullOrWhiteSpace($_) } |
      Add-Content E:\Temp\newFile.json
          }
      Works on a little test file I made. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by fulcon View Post

As you can't have line breaks in a property, you should be able to treat the 'geometry' line as a single line.

Because it's a large file, you don't want to read it all into memory in one go so this will do 5000 lines at a time:

Code:
        $batchSize = 5000

Foreach-Object {
         }
        As Eek will attest I am not a code monkey, what type of script is that? shell?
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Based on fulcon's regular expression.

Open the file up in Notepad++ and use the following search and replace

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_117.png
Views:	200
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	4219164

Replace the *, with *} if there isn't a , at the end of the geometry line but there should be.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

As Eek will attest I am not a code monkey, what type of script is that? shell?
            It's Windows PowerShell. May work on Mac or Linux if you have PowerShell installed but I can't test that.

Comment

Originally posted by fulcon View Post

Code:
              $batchSize = 5000

Foreach-Object {
               }
              It looks like the original file is GeoJSON, so the geometry property is an object and a simple regex removing single lines isn't going to work.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	regular_expressions.png
Views:	157
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	4219331

Comment

Working...
                X