• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Replacing the SDD when it has the OS on it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing the SDD when it has the OS on it

My Windows 10 desktop PC has a 120GB SSD for the C: where the OS is installed and a mechanical 900GB D: drive for files. The idea was to put most apps and data on the D: drive and just the OS and essentials on the C: drive. However, the C: drive is running out of space. There is still lots of space on the mechanical D: drive, but annoyingly, some apps still don't allow me to specify where they get installed.

It looks like I'll need to replace the SSD with a new bigger one. I'm thinking of buying a 1TB SSD. Just wondering how best to transfer the OS (Windows 10) and installed apps over to the new SSD. I don't really fancy having to reinstall everything.

I don't fancy using a 3rd party utility to do the transfer due to security risk. If I rule that out, it looks like my options are either to create a disk image of C: using a facility within Windows 10 (but not sure how I boot up and apply the image to the new SSD if I've removed the old one), or depending on what brand of SSD I buy, it might come with its own software utility to do the transfer. At the moment I'm inclined to think that my best hope is to buy an SSD that comes with its own cloning software.

Has anyone had any experience of doing any of this, or got an alternative solution?

PS: I suppose I'll need to open up the PC (a desktop) to see what physical size the existing SSD is, so that if I buy a new one it will fit the slot.

Originally posted by jamsandwich View Post
    I suppose I'll need to open up the PC (a desktop) to see what physical size the existing SSD is, so that if I buy a new one it will fit the slot.
    You'll need to open it up to install the new drive, but if you'd mentioned the make and model, I'm sure someone here (or google) would tell you the physical size
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

As for the "How", I did it years ago using Linux Feather, but here's a more up-to-date method:
      https://www.techradar.com/how-to/com...-drive-1296831

Or use solution 1 here, if you just want to use the inherent method in Windows:
      https://recoverit.wondershare.com/co...-transfer.html

Or here:
      https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/...ew-hard-drive/

Or, if you're prepared to pay for it, I've used this brand in the past:
      https://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/clo...ard-drive.html

Comment

Thanks WTFH

The existing SSD is (according to properties dialog in File Explorer):

sandisk sd6sb1m128g1022

There is another char at the end of that but I can't tell whether its a lower-case "L" or an upper case "i" or something else, so haven't typed it in the above string.

A quick search led me to believe that the SSD is 2.5 inch, which seems to be a common size.

My preferred options are either:

1) Do the transfer using only Windows 10 itself (I have a usb stick with Windows 10 install set on it, and presumably I'd need to make a disk image of the existing C: drive).

or

2) Use a cloning tool that is supplied with the SDD.

I don't want to trust any 3rd party tool. I'm a bit paranoid about security.

I was tending to think that option 2) might be easier, but I think I need to study the links you posted and get a better idea of exactly what is involved, particularly in the option 1) scenario.

Comment

You don't trust a 3rd party tool but are happy to use a third party tool provided with the SSD?

You aren't paranoid, you are stupid.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

If you don't trust programs that others use to do the job, and you don't know how to do it yourself, then I'd suggest paying a professional to do it.
            The 3rd party tools in the links I have provided are well known and recognised to do the job properly. I would trust them more than I would trust something developed my Microsoft.

I would also be concerned that if you don't know what you're doing, that to save money you'll buy the cheapest SSD you can find, or one that gets 5* reviews on eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              You don't trust a 3rd party tool but are happy to use a third party tool provided with the SSD?

You aren't paranoid, you are stupid.
              Ha ha! Thanks.

My reasoning is....

I would expect the SSD manufacturer to have done adequate checks to ensure that any cloning tool that they supply with their hardware is safe to use. If they failed to do that then customers who bought their SSD might have problems; which could lead to reputational damage to their (the SSD manufacturer) business. I see the tool they supply as 2nd party rather than 3rd party. Or at least, it could be a 3rd party tool that has been vetted by the 2nd party. Also, unless it is a brand new tool then it has probably already been bought (with SSD) by other people, so that it had been put to the test before I got round to buying the SSD.

Seems like there is a clear incentive for the SSD manufacturer to ensure that the tool is safe. This gives me more confidence than I might have in some cloning tool that I might have downloaded from some random website that I've found on a quick search.

I would have to be careful which SSD I bought. It would most likely have to be a brand that I've already heard of and that has been around for at least a few years.

If I could do the transfer using only Windows itself than I'd prefer that, although I don't know if it is more hassle than using a cloning tool.

Of course, I could be wrong. There is always risk in any strategy. The above is just my current line of thought on what the safest option is for me. I posted on here to see if anyone had a better idea or might point out something I've not thought of.

Comment

I upgraded my NVMe the other day from 1TB to 2TB, piece of piss. Download the free version of Macrium, make a backup copy of your hard drive to an external USB, swap out the drives, do the restore and Bob's yer uncle. There are plenty of good guides on the net on how to do this and I was quite happy on how successful it was (the last time I tried was with Windows XP and that went titsup halfway through). Mind you, Windows 11 is slow as **** now...
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by jamsandwich View Post

Ha ha! Thanks.

My reasoning is....

I would expect the SSD manufacturer to have done adequate checks to ensure that any cloning tool that they supply with their hardware is safe to use. If they failed to do that then customers who bought their SSD might have problems; which could lead to reputational damage to their (the SSD manufacturer) business. I see the tool they supply as 2nd party rather than 3rd party. Or at least, it could be a 3rd party tool that has been vetted by the 2nd party. Also, unless it is a brand new tool then it has probably already been bought (with SSD) by other people, so that it had been put to the test before I got round to buying the SSD.

Seems like there is a clear incentive for the SSD manufacturer to ensure that the tool is safe. This gives me more confidence than I might have in some cloning tool that I might have downloaded from some random website that I've found on a quick search.

I would have to be careful which SSD I bought. It would most likely have to be a brand that I've already heard of and that has been around for at least a few years.

If I could do the transfer using only Windows itself than I'd prefer that, although I don't know if it is more hassle than using a cloning tool.

Of course, I could be wrong. There is always risk in any strategy. The above is just my current line of thought on what the safest option is for me. I posted on here to see if anyone had a better idea or might point out something I've not thought of.
                  Who installed this drive in the first place?

As for trusting a drive manufacturer - they have no idea what operating system you are going to be using, now have they any incentive to keep their freeware up to date. You seem to think that spending £100 on a hard drive entitles you to £50 of free software that will be kept up to date to function with your old drive and any new OS forever. It doesn't work like that. That's why Macrium, EaseUS, etc, exist as businesses, and why professionals use them, not the freeware that came with the drive.

Comment

You could look at a hardware solution. Basically, you'd take the old SSD drive out of your PC, plug the old and new drives into the clone box (docking station), then press a button to sync them. They vary in price quite a bit: I saw one on Amazon for £25 (no idea of its quality) and others on Startech for £600. Personally, I wouldn't bother for a single transfer, but if you want to avoid 3rd party software then this might be the way to go.

Another option is to reinstall Windows on the new drive: use this as an opportunity to clear out any junk that's hanging around on the old drive.

Comment

Working...
                    X