• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The end of free GSuite for business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, I'll be a bit gutted to lose it - while I don't love GSuite overall, I've had my personal e-mail hosted there since pretty much Day 1 in 2006/2007, and it's worked very well for me. Especially as I use a catch all domain).

TBH, I'll probably just start paying - at this point I'm really not sure there's a competitive free alternative, and moving to another paid service is just going to be huge hassle. But I need to see what the costs look like in that, I'm not sure what featureset I'll have to pay for
    Last edited by vwdan; 30 January 2022, 15:28.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Yep, I'll be a bit gutted to lose it - while I don't love GSuite overall, I've had my personal e-mail hosted there since pretty much Day 1 in 2006/2007, and it's worked very well for me. Especially as I use a catch all domain).

TBH, I'll probably just start paying - at this point I'm really not sure there's a competitive free alternative, and moving to another paid service is just going to be huge hassle. But I need to see what the costs look like in that, I'm not sure what featureset I'll have to pay for
      Were it just me, paying would be an option but we have 8 family accounts there and I'm not paying $50 a month
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Were it just me, paying would be an option but we have 8 family accounts there and I'm not paying $50 a month
        I will move them to the iCloud Custom Domain option as we already pay for it
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by ElliotM
          have to find a free alternative for the Gsuite! Any advice?
          For the moment wait and see what google offer and fill in the form to say you use it for family purposes (I do, all business stuff is with MS).

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

For the moment wait and see what google offer and fill in the form to say you use it for family purposes (I do, all business stuff is with MS).
            Looks like Google are ignoring that then as they sent out an email this morning telling me to Switch now. If I don't take any action they will automatically switch me on June 1 2022 to the Google Workspace Subscription.

Perhaps it is a blanket email.. So still waiting for what our options are for my personal family domain.

edit..

The mail also mentioned this:-

Note: If you no longer want to use Gmail with your custom domain or the ability to manage multiple users, you’ll be able to join a waitlist in the Google Workspace Admin Console for a no-cost option in the coming weeks.

but looks like we won't get to keep our custom domains.

in the meantime looking at alternative services and saw this one:-

https://www.migadu.com/pricing/

It is not free, but cheaper
            Last edited by 1ne0fFU; 8 April 2022, 08:16.

Comment

Looks like Google have relented and are allowing people to keep it for non business use (and for me it’s non business use - it's the very weird family domain name).

click here to find the opt in link and The reg has the story at https://www.theregister.com/2022/05/...ontent=article
              Last edited by eek; 18 May 2022, 06:42.

Comment

There's been a lot of bad feeling on this on the Google support fora. They seem to have simply back-tracked on all previous statements in favour of this "anyone can keep it if they click the link". The other free option being promised was to lose your email but keep the entire account contents.

I suppose they expect that a lot of these users won't bother updating their preferences and it will cost very little for some good PR.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  There's been a lot of bad feeling on this on the Google support fora. They seem to have simply back-tracked on all previous statements in favour of this "anyone can keep it if they click the link". The other free option being promised was to lose your email but keep the entire account contents.

I suppose they expect that a lot of these users won't bother updating their preferences and it will cost very little for some good PR.
                  I'm just glad it means I don't have to do anything quickly. I will end up moving things away from google but I have a few things where google is used for SSO and I can't remember what half of them are.

Comment

While I find GDrive/Docs extremely handy, the one thing Google does better than anyone else I've used is email. It was somewhat revolutionary when they first launched it and I still feel it's leagues ahead of Outlook.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X