• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sharepoint query - creating new document folders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharepoint query - creating new document folders

We've recently migrated all our technical documents from source control to SharePoint. Previously, you'd create a new document in the correct location and check it in... on your local machine the file always lived in that same folder. Now, it's all done magically via the browser, you click a link and Word/Excel opens the file, you can edit/save it straight into the cloud or whatever.

But when you want to create a new document, is there some neat way to do it? Typically if I am working on a proposal there will be the main doc and maybe linked things like design, estimates, diagrams, etc. Before I'd have a new subfolder and all this would get checked in in one go. Now I end up creating a folder "Proposal 123" putting all the files in, then one by one uploading to Sharepoint. As soon as they're checked in initially, I delete my local copy (or probably forget) to avoid a duplicate.

It seems a big step backwards which makes me think I am probably doing it wrong - never had much truck with SharePoint before. We use on-premises, no cloud, which seems to make a lot of modern functionality struggle.
    Any tips on what I should do?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

If your sharepoint is server based, can't you just find the server folder in windows explorer and drag/drop? It's probably \\Network\sharepoint\folder structure\Proposal123
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You can upload an entire folder, but it does depend on how it's been configured

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        If your sharepoint is server based, can't you just find the server folder in windows explorer and drag/drop? It's probably \\Network\sharepoint\folder structure\Proposal123
        Library --> Open with Explorer.

Comment

I can't see any option to "open with Explorer" anywhere... but I hadn't realised Sharepoint had a network location for it's files, figured it was all some PITA database. Knowing that I should be able to find where it is.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ShaerPoint.png
Views:	47
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	4198868
            Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I can't see any option to "open with Explorer" anywhere... but I hadn't realised Sharepoint had a network location for it's files, figured it was all some PITA database. Knowing that I should be able to find where it is.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              It is a database. It stores files as BLOB object.
              In modern SharePoint/SharePoint Online, if you want a new file, you'd click New in the document library, and it will offer you Word, Excel, etc. file type and you're good to go.
              It sounds like you're using on-premise SharePoint and not a modern one (why oh why would you do that?).

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
              X