• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extract all sender's email addresses from emails

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extract all sender's email addresses from emails

I'm probably about to bin a provider (Virgin) which means I'll lose access to the email address I've used for the past twenty odd years. So I'm looking for a way to extract all the sender's email addresses from my inbox to ensure I can update with a new address (or create new logons etc). There will be 10,000 plus emails easily.

I have Airmail (Mac), Outlook for Mac, Thunderbird (Linux) or could create a gmail acct to access.

Any ideas on how to do so?

TIA
    Pondy.

I'd suggest extract the entire contents of the mailbox as PST file.
    Then slurp it all into Gmail (IMAP should manage that).
    Then gmail will do its thing and read all your emails and then when you try and email someone it will make a stab at the recipient.

Or.... I don't think Virgin delete their mailboxes anyway. It's far too complex for them with all the mergers over the years and that fact that you might subscribe to all sorts of different services they offer. They're just not joined up enough.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Watching this one with interest. I'm in the same situation with my BT address. My fear is not only extracting the old ones but capturing anything that I haven't seen for awhile. Yearly reminders and the like. BT won't do a forwarding rule and I can't have the email address only if I don't use any other of their services so they only way I can make sure I've got everything is to keep the old one open for a year or two but that defeats the object of moving away from BT.

I don't think Virgin delete their mailboxes anyway.
      I'd be very surprised at that. I know clients where they haven't closed the accounts properly but for a company offering a paid contract service I'd be very surprised. I would have thought providers would be a bit more clued up than leaving random mailboxes open. That said it's not out or realms of possibility.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 24 September 2021, 12:58.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think I need some way of either;

a) Dumping the lot to excel and binning everything but the 'From' info
        b) Dumping in to some sort of formatted/structured file that I can parse

Edit: Sorry if I wasn't clear, I have a copy of all the emails locally in outlook (and airmail) - I just want to identify all the places I've signed up to over the past two decades using that address either as contact info or username.
        Last edited by Pondlife; 24 September 2021, 13:04.

Comment

Does this help?

https://www.extendoffice.com/documen...-contacts.html

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Unfortunately Outlook for Mac only allows export to an '.olm' file but apart from that it's exactly what I want. Ta.

Comment

There seem to be tools called 'olm extractors' that will do what you want. Not being a mac user I can't say if they're scams, malware or what-not but it appears to be a common requirement to extract a variety of things from that file type.

Comment

Seems like I can install outlook onto a Win10 virtual machine and use ladymuck solution.
                Thanks

Comment

If you have POP3 access you can use python script to do this.
                  there's even IMAP python, but this is overkill.
                  Python script is less than 10 lines.
                  No need to do 25 steps process with GBs of installation of software.
                  I have the script somewhere, let me know if you want it.

Comment

Originally posted by gisp View Post
                    If you have POP3 access you can use python script to do this.
                    there's even IMAP python, but this is overkill.
                    Python script is less than 10 lines.
                    No need to do 25 steps process with GBs of installation of software.
                    I have the script somewhere, let me know if you want it.
                    Ooh, yes please. Save faffing with VMs. Ta.

Comment

Working...
                    X