• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to make my phone ring/alert from a desktop application?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make my phone ring/alert from a desktop application?

I'm writing some software in C# to run on my desktop or a remote server, and I'd like the software to be able to alert me urgently of specific things whether I'm at my PC or not - i.e. it needs to make my phone beep at me
    Quite an open-ended requirement and I'd welcome any suggestions how you might do this. [1]First and foremost, I do not want to write a custom mobile app. [2]And when I say I want to be notified, I mean right now, not that I'll see the notification next time I look at my phone - ideally play something loud and repeated.
    [3]The other plus could be if I can make an action directly on my phone in response e.g it tells me X and asks me a YES/NO question which it will act on.

So far:
    • Email seemed an easy solution, but I can't see how I make it play an insistent alarm just for one specific email contact and not all the other emails I get. I assume there are services out there that will let me trigger an SMS or even an automated phone call from a number I can then set as a contact, via some sort of API so that could be interesting. Email/SMS seems like it could quite easily send me a link as a way to perform an action, or "reply YES/NO" etc.
    • I'm also an IFTTT user with a pro account, though I barely know how it works. I wondered if I could use this as the 'glue' to save some development like "when I get an email from X, play a siren".
    • While I don't want to write a mobile app, is it possible something like this already exists? e.g. I install the app on my phone then configure my code to send alerts to their API and hey presto.

I'm all about minimising the work I have to put in on this one.

edit: MODs other version of this thread says "error" when I try to view... can you can nuke it?
    Last edited by d000hg; 21 June 2021, 18:09.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

IFTTT will do exactly what you want - had I a similar requirement I would be using MS Flow for the same thing with something like a http trigger.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      IFTTT will do exactly what you want - had I a similar requirement I would be using MS Flow for the same thing with something like a http trigger.
      Not come across Flow before. From a bit of looking at IFTTT the 'then' part would not be too hard but there are so many services I can't really see how I'd plumb in my "IF" from my custom code. I did see a WebHook service which talks about arbitrary HTTP requests and the like which sounds promising.

Comment

Telegram bots. Or signal. I think there are a few implementations that you can readily use but to be frank I have not played with them so not quite sure what to expect.

you can do one for imessages as well I think.

Comment

I was doing a bit of web-trawling last night and I actually wonder if using a 3rd-party SMS service might not be as good as anything. Services like this seem extremely simple to use and pretty cheap: http://api.txtlocal.com/docs/sendsms They also let you receive SMS which opens up some interesting ideas.

Comment

Hire a millennial to sit at your desk and give you a call when the specific triggers occur. There's someone on here that needs a few extra £ to boost their meagre £100K income - i'm sure she'll be interested (unless you were born before 1964).

Comment

Google SMS gateway API and you will find lots.

Basically you open an account, buy credits which give you so many 1000s of SMS messages. Each API call with a key will send SMS messages to any phone number or numbers

Many give a trial with a few SMS messages so you can check latency. Many of the cheap ones in far away lands have unacceptable latency.

I have used it in a number of projects to notify of things changing.
              First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Looks like they often offer WhatsApp, email, etc as well. Seems it would be simple to design my code so I can drop in different services (SMS, IFTTT, etc) to test. Or use them all... anyone remember "Woof!" or when Marty McFly got fired in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  Hire a millennial to sit at your desk and give you a call when the specific triggers occur. There's someone on here that needs a few extra £ to boost their meagre £100K income - i'm sure she'll be interested (unless you were born before 1964).
                  These are the boomers that we love!

https://www.codementor.io/@garethdwy...rt-1-goi5fncay

Comment

I use slack webhooks, install the slack app on my phone and desktop (which I use anyway so its not "another app" for me)

And then call the webhook like this

Code:
                    curl -X POST -H Content-type: application/json --data {"text":"04:09:44 databaseName backups started"} https://hooks.slack.com/services/*********/*********/*********************
                    100% free, 100% reliable and idiot proof
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X