• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to make my phone ring/alert from a desktop application?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I use slack webhooks, install the slack app on my phone and desktop (which I use anyway so its not "another app" for me)

And then call the webhook like this

Code:
    curl -X POST -H Content-type: application/json --data {"text":"04:09:44 databaseName backups started"} https://hooks.slack.com/services/*********/*********/*********************
    100% free, 100% reliable and idiot proof
    Didn't work for me. Doesn't like all the asterixs for some reason???
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I use teams now for this stuff, I used to use slack. I use either logic apps or flow to kick off the message.

Zapier and IFTTT just are not in the same league, and flow while it freaks people out ( i dont know why ) is very easy to use. You can literally create a flow, drop a slack or teams box under the trigger and that is it.

I do websites that trap finance applications, the workflow after that is about 6 steps, ive got a teams bot that sends me a range of activity cards on teams when an event takes place or a decision is needed. The buttons are on the messages it sends. "do this", "SMS back this", "send here". Can basically work from the pub.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        I use slack webhooks, install the slack app on my phone and desktop (which I use anyway so its not "another app" for me)

And then call the webhook like this

Code:
        curl -X POST -H Content-type: application/json --data {"text":"04:09:44 databaseName backups started"} https://hooks.slack.com/services/*********/*********/*********************
        100% free, 100% reliable and idiot proof
        That's interesting hadn't twigged Slack let you do this.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          ive got a teams bot that sends me a range of activity cards on teams when an event takes place or a decision is needed. The buttons are on the messages it sends. "do this", "SMS back this", "send here". Can basically work from the pub.
          That's a nice setup. I was idly thinking about the ability to make it 2-way so I can save time. e.g. Elon tweets something stupid at 2am and TSLA starts to crash, you get an alert "you might want to sell" and a way to action that with one button rather than fire up your PC, log in to your broker app, set up the trade.

A little OTT but hey I'm a coder it's a fun thing to do. I'd not considered linking to a bot but it presumably does a lot of the comms stuff 'for free' using code someone else has tested for you.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            That's a nice setup. I was idly thinking about the ability to make it 2-way so I can save time. e.g. Elon tweets something stupid at 2am and TSLA starts to crash, you get an alert "you might want to sell" and a way to action that with one button rather than fire up your PC, log in to your broker app, set up the trade.

A little OTT but hey I'm a coder it's a fun thing to do. I'd not considered linking to a bot but it presumably does a lot of the comms stuff 'for free' using code someone else has tested for you.
            So when I press the button on teams it's actually sending a pre formed bit of text back to the bot. Like "send deal id 23455". The bot picks that up, parses it and chooses which logic app to call that will do the actual event. Usually it's just pull stuff from a DB and email it somewhere, change some state or SMS someone ( I use twillio ) .

The bot really is just a number of methods that I can trigger by HTTP that create the cards, and a big switch that takes the replies and calls a range of logic apps. Bot is kind of over selling what ive got but that is the technical name for it. Rather than write a front end, ive just embded all my front end use case triggers in teams and present the range of actions available depending on state.

Comment

Adaptive cards are really sweet now. I dont know how far you can push getting a whole system front end in it, then the operator/user just actions stuff in a conversation...

Adaptive Cards

Comment

Working...
              X