• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trigger an infra red signal via wifi, any ideas?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    If you don't want to go down the route of adding a relay into the blind controller electrics, i'd use a Harmony Hub IR Blaster inside your den. Assuming your den is within range of your wifi, you can then IR blast via the App, or via Alexa. "Alexa, open the den blinds" or have an Alexa routine to automatically open and close the blinds at certain times or at sunrise/sunset.

(I'm assuming Google Home will support Harmony too).

If you go further on your home automation, and connect it to a HA system, you could open have he blinds open when your door that lead to the den opens, then close them when the den door closes. Or open them when it detects motion via a PIR close to your den, and your HA system is in "Home" mode. Or close them when everyone leaves the house etc etc.

You just need to check the Harmony Hub supports your blinds - it has fairly extensive IR support and also has learning modes. What model is the blind controller? It can control up to 8 devices, so could control each blind individually, or you could set them up as a group.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Ha.../dp/B014GXQ9YW
    Yep this is exactly what I want, I will be ordering from Amazon now. The den has wifi and it can learn from the remote control I use for the blinds which is good.

Nice one and unexpected, I was assuming i might end up doing a bit of programming but this is the complete package.

Comment

If this isn't 1st World problems, I don't know what is.

There's new luxury car I saw, that has an app for controlling access, opening the doors etc, but it only works on Android. Then the infotainment system only supports Apple Car Play. So you basically need two smart phones at all times. Genius 1st World problems.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post

Yep this is exactly what I want, I will be ordering from Amazon now. The den has wifi and it can learn from the remote control I use for the blinds which is good.

Nice one and unexpected, I was assuming i might end up doing a bit of programming but this is the complete package.
        No taking the ceiling down or anything? Not for me that.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

No taking the ceiling down or anything? Not for me that.
          The Harmony Hub is just an IR blaster. So long as you could stand where you put it and press the provided IR clicker for the device to be controlled, the Harmony can be used to control the device. But, you can then set up/programme configurations and control it from an app or Alexa/Google Home. These can be as simple as on/off, or more complex (ie, a sequence of IR blast events).

Comment

So what did you buy and did it work?

Just askin' like.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              So what did you buy and did it work?

Just askin' like.
              This is the one I attempted to buy. CC details where slightly incorrect (had to re-enter for some reason), fixed, but on the day of delivery payment was rejected, gave up after 3 attempts. Will try again when I'm not so frustrated with Amazon.

Logitech Harmony Hub, Turns Your Smartphone into a: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Comment

Working...
              X