• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trigger an infra red signal via wifi, any ideas?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post

This, this just could be the ticket. It can control multiple devices, I'm guessing i would just need the wavelength / signal that is sent for each blind.

Edit. Reading further it may not meet my needs but it's the type of thing, will search for something more configurable on these lines.
    You said you only needed one for the door? Open up the blind and attach the wires to the motor so it's in parallel with the infra red system. Either can send power to the motor then.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Even better. Get the spare remote and attach it to a smart button presser. Control the infra red phob from your phone. Can hide it in a draw somewhere so it's out of site.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SwitchBot-S...dp/B07B4D9KVX/

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You said you only needed one for the door? Open up the blind and attach the wires to the motor so it's in parallel with the infra red system. Either can send power to the motor then.
        Ideally, I would like to have a solution that I could control all the blinds, so say from an app open all the blinds. But the main priority is the blind for the door.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Even better. Get the spare remote and attach it to a smart button presser. Control the infra red phob from your phone. Can hide it in a draw somewhere so it's out of site.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SwitchBot-S...dp/B07B4D9KVX/
          I refuse to use a robot finger to achieve this task, you sound like the type of person that would cut a hole in his ceiling to allow him to play golf

Comment

Something like this may be the ticket

IRKit - Open Source WiFi Connected Infrared Remote Controller (getirkit.com)

Comment

Ideally, I would like to have a solution that I could control all the blinds, so say from an app open all the blinds. But the main priority is the blind for the door.
              I've got the perfect solution then it's....

I refuse to use a robot finger to achieve this task, you sound like the type of person that would cut a hole in his ceiling to allow him to play golf
              Click image for larger version  Name:	giphy.gif Views:	0 Size:	3.27 MB ID:	4153981

Erm.. well non of your ***** business it seems

Comment

How about this:

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg03706/infrared-extender/dp/AV21827?mckv=spwdHZuLM_dc|pcrid|491034902770|kword ||match||plid||slid||product|AV21827|pgrid|4869457 5284|ptaid|pla-885341110011|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!491034902770!!!network} !885341110011!&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvaHU4u7L7wIVi-7tCh35EAMVEAQYASABEgK2FfD_BwE

Converts the ir to rf transmits it then converts the rf to ir at the other end.

70m range.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  How about this:

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg03706/infrared-extender/dp/AV21827?mckv=spwdHZuLM_dc|pcrid|491034902770|kword ||match||plid||slid||product|AV21827|pgrid|4869457 5284|ptaid|pla-885341110011|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!491034902770!!!network} !885341110011!&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvaHU4u7L7wIVi-7tCh35EAMVEAQYASABEgK2FfD_BwE

Converts the ir to rf transmits it then converts the rf to ir at the other end.

70m range.
                  I prefer the wifi approach but this could be an option, thanks.

Comment

If you don't want to go down the route of adding a relay into the blind controller electrics, i'd use a Harmony Hub IR Blaster inside your den. Assuming your den is within range of your wifi, you can then IR blast via the App, or via Alexa. "Alexa, open the den blinds" or have an Alexa routine to automatically open and close the blinds at certain times or at sunrise/sunset.

(I'm assuming Google Home will support Harmony too).

If you go further on your home automation, and connect it to a HA system, you could open have he blinds open when your door that lead to the den opens, then close them when the den door closes. Or open them when it detects motion via a PIR close to your den, and your HA system is in "Home" mode. Or close them when everyone leaves the house etc etc.

You just need to check the Harmony Hub supports your blinds - it has fairly extensive IR support and also has learning modes. What model is the blind controller? It can control up to 8 devices, so could control each blind individually, or you could set them up as a group.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Ha.../dp/B014GXQ9YW
                    Last edited by Paralytic; 25 March 2021, 17:39.

Comment

Fibre optic cable.

Comment

Working...
                      X