• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MS Teams keeps killing my headset?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a wired USB headset from Sennheiser, nothing special £30 or so but it's a current model bought to replace an older once I'd worn out. Teams client on Mac.

I'm not aware it HAS any software to update but surely Teams should just be using standard communications API to your selected sound device, like everything else, and this headset appears to work on other apps. I'm sure it used to work, unless it's a Mac OS update issue (Catalina).

Several people have reported the web version of Teams doesn't have this problem so I might try that. If so this would imply Teams IS doing something 'clever'...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      It's a wired USB headset from Sennheiser, nothing special £30 or so but it's a current model bought to replace an older once I'd worn out. Teams client on Mac.

I'm not aware it HAS any software to update but surely Teams should just be using standard communications API to your selected sound device, like everything else, and this headset appears to work on other apps. I'm sure it used to work, unless it's a Mac OS update issue (Catalina).

Several people have reported the web version of Teams doesn't have this problem so I might try that. If so this would imply Teams IS doing something 'clever'...
      Teams is just a program built on chromium - it's nothing fancier than a posh customised web browser.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Teams is just a program built on chromium - it's nothing fancier than a posh customised web browser.
        I wonder why the web version lacks many features then... but that's quite interesting, thanks.

Maybe I'll try it in Safari next.

Comment

Amazon issued a no-quibble refund even though I bought in 2019, so I've just decided to buy something else and test. Gone for something from Jabra this time... they even have the "Teams certified" sticker which presumably means damn-all.

Comment

Amazon issued a no-quibble refund even though I bought in 2019, so I've just decided to buy something else and test. Gone for something from Jabra this time... they even have the "Teams certified" sticker which presumably means damn-all.
            That wouldn't surprise me given that you are using a Mac - there's probably a get out clause (and a specification saying only tested with Windows 10 1903 edition KB123456).
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm just returning my Jabra 'MS Certified' headset as it doesn't work with Teams. The nail in the coffin was finding in the Jabra app settings under 'product information' that it's not MS Certified - a big fat 'no' next to that option.

I did a google search for the part number and loads of places list it as MS Certified, so I've also raised a ticket with Jabra to see what they say about that part number.

Comment

I determined that the issue I was having with mine was somehow linked to USB... if my machine was running for long periods the headset would start to get little glitches but rebooting (or unplugging and plugging back in) would resolve it. Had similar on my USB web-cam. Unclear if it was a hardware issue on an ageing Mac or a driver/OS glitch but my shiny new Mac has built-in mic and camera which work very solidly.

Although I have also determined my new Mac needs to be rebooted every couple of weeks - odd weird things start building up. I was quite surprised considering Windows can run for months without a restart and Mac is supposed to be the stable one!

Comment

Working...
                X