• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Learning AUTOSAR as a contractor

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Learning AUTOSAR as a contractor

    Hi,

    I'm finding a number of contract opportunities are coming through to me, which request AUTOSAR as a competency. This is something I haven't had a chance to learn, but would definitely want to have it under my belt.

    I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a course or something for these. I searched Udemy and while there are some courses, I have no idea if it's any good. Naturally, learning and doing are two very different things, but at least a course will get my foot in the door I'm thinking.

    #2
    Ay you say doing a course does not mean you are competent in it so it's a start but I'd be under no illusions that it would get you a foot in the door. Might need a bit more than that.

    Don't forget you can't get tax relief on the course as it's a new skill.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

    Comment


      #3
      why not join the Autosar partner scheme?

      How to join - AUTOSAR

      A snip at 3k Euros a year and something your competing contractors are unlikely to have. So stick £50 on your day rate to cover it.
      And you can get tax relief on it.
      See You Next Tuesday

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Don't forget you can't get tax relief on the course as it's a new skill.
        My accountant implied that as a software engineer, it's software, so whatever. If I'd gone to do a plumbing course it's not related. But her answer didn't exactly sit right with me.


        I think going full blown partner would be definitely something intriguing, though I've found some training videos on autosar website itself. Definitely one way of forcing my foot in the door

        Comment


          #5
          Just to be picky, it's about your "line of business". As far as the law is concerned that is what you are selling now as your skills which, in IT world, are the technical competencies - languages, OS, DBs, process skills, whatever - you already have. Adding another one is seen as being outside that line of business. Yes, it's a nonsense, but that's how the rules are worded.

          For a comparatively small amount like this, compared say to an MBA or professional technical qualification I would write it off as something that makes you more marketable so will pay for itself over time.
          Blog? What blog...?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by FreakShow View Post
            My accountant implied that as a software engineer, it's software, so whatever. If I'd gone to do a plumbing course it's not related. But her answer didn't exactly sit right with me.


            I think going full blown partner would be definitely something intriguing, though I've found some training videos on autosar website itself. Definitely one way of forcing my foot in the door
            Mal explained it pretty well but you can't compare plumbing, which is about all there is to it, to software engineering which needs lots of different highly specialist skillsets. The keyword is skills. To learn a new one which you can then sell on does not meet the criteria. If there was something that covered software engineering as a whole maybe, but to learn something new that you then rely on to draw income then no. It is a bit silly but it's pretty clear on this one and just as Mal says, the tax saving is minial and getting one gig with the new skill covers it on the first day so not worth the bother of claiming it.

            Your accontant might be trying to do the right thing but he's an accountant, not a software engineering specialist.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

            Comment


              #7
              Is the process of learning AUTOSAR as a contractor different to learning it as a different type of worker?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Is the process of learning AUTOSAR as a contractor different to learning it as a different type of worker?
                As a worker, I could expect to be provided training for it, assuming that the hiring process did not need me to know AUTOSAR to apply. As a contractor, not at all. I either need it and therefore should have it, or don't have it and can't apply.

                That's what I meant.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by FreakShow View Post
                  As a worker, I could expect to be provided training for it, assuming that the hiring process did not need me to know AUTOSAR to apply. As a contractor, not at all. I either need it and therefore should have it, or don't have it and can't apply.

                  That's what I meant.
                  And what I meant was that it is a business decision. If it will lead to more work, or better paid work, then invest in it. If it doesn't, then don't. Either way, the taxation aspect is irrelevant.

                  You run a business or you have a something that is purely a tax avoidance vehicle. You need to decide which.
                  Blog? What blog...?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    And what I meant was that it is a business decision. If it will lead to more work, or better paid work, then invest in it. If it doesn't, then don't. Either way, the taxation aspect is irrelevant.

                    You run a business or you have a something that is purely a tax avoidance vehicle. You need to decide which.
                    Oh I entirely get what you mean. Even if I have to buy two courses for ~£100, it's not something I'm going to risk getting fined and investigated over.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X