• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Open Source Network Monitor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Source Network Monitor?

In my client supplied laptop, Citrix keeps complaining "Connection Lost" and after few seconds "Connection restored".

I'm not a network guy, so I have little clue. Could it be because my Internet connection is dropping every now and then that I am noticing only now?

Are there any open source monitors that can be used to identify these drops, so that I can complain to Virgin?

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
    In my client supplied laptop, Citrix keeps complaining "Connection Lost" and after few seconds "Connection restored".

I'm not a network guy, so I have little clue. Could it be because my Internet connection is dropping every now and then that I am noticing only now?

Are there any open source monitors that can be used to identify these drops, so that I can complain to Virgin?
    I had a similar issue working from home using Virgin Media as my "fast and reliable" Internet connection using their "wonderful" Hub 3.

Now I switched the Hub 3 to modem only mode and attached a decent MIMO LinkSys router. Since then, very fast Wifi speeds and no connection dropouts.

Comment

something like Wireshark?
      Wireshark . Download
      may be a bit sledgehammer/nut though.
      NOOOOO!! - not the Blue wire!!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I had a similar issue working from home using Virgin Media as my "fast and reliable" Internet connection using their "wonderful" Hub 3.

Now I switched the Hub 3 to modem only mode and attached a decent MIMO LinkSys router. Since then, very fast Wifi speeds and no connection dropouts.
        Thank you. Could you provide me the link to MIMO LinkSys router product? Is MU-MIMO is the same as MIMO?

Found one in Amazon. Does it do the job?

Linksys WRT3200ACM-UK MU-MIMO eSATA/USB 3.0 Gigabit Wi-Fi Router with Open Source: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
        Last edited by BigDataPro; 18 August 2020, 11:26.

Comment

I'm no expert in this field. I suspect any half decent router will do the trick. The Virgin Home Hub 3 is utter pants.

I have this one:

Linksys EA7500 Dual-Band Wifi Router for Home (Max-Stream AC1900 MU-Mimo Fast Wireless Router): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

This has some good reviews too:
          ASUS RT-AC86U Wi-Fi AC2900 (AI Mesh USB 3.0 Router, AiProtection by Trend Micro, AI Mesh, WTFast Game Accelerator Adaptive QoS, Dual-WAN 3G/4G Support): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Comment

Also I get the full Wifi speed (up and down) on every device using an attached router. When I was using the Wifi feature of the hub, the speed was max 40% of what I was paying Virgin for.

Comment

I asked a Virgin engineer who came to fix/replace my Hub 3 again about this and he categorically advised not to do it. I wish I had ignored his advice.

Comment

Thanks for this

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                  I asked a Virgin engineer who came to fix/replace my Hub 3 again about this and he categorically advised not to do it. I wish I had ignored his advice.
                  Ask yourself - if the Hub 3 is so good why don't business customers get given them?
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thanks

Couple of years ago, I invested in Powerline Wifi access point or something as recommended by VirginMedia - NETGEAR PLW1000-100UKS 1000 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Wifi Adapter Homeplug Access Point, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11 b/g/n/a, (1 Gigabit Ethernet Port): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories. Will it become a complete waste now?

Comment

Working...
                    X