• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Open Source Network Monitor?"

Collapse

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    The original issue could be that that laptop was using 2.4 GHz which is prone to interference from devices such as microwave ovens etc. In any even, any serious work should be done via cable only.

Drops and grey-outs are invariably caused on the wifi side, not the ISP side.
    Most definitely true. ISP do of course have outages, but these tend to be hours or days in duration. Dropouts in the seconds or minutes time frame are invariably at the router / wifi. Good quality CAT 7 cable and 99.9% of these issues are resolved.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
    In my client supplied laptop, Citrix keeps complaining "Connection Lost" and after few seconds "Connection restored".

I'm not a network guy, so I have little clue. Could it be because my Internet connection is dropping every now and then that I am noticing only now?

Are there any open source monitors that can be used to identify these drops, so that I can complain to Virgin?
    Thanks

Couple of years ago, I invested in Powerline Wifi access point or something as recommended by VirginMedia - NETGEAR PLW1000-100UKS 1000 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Wifi Adapter Homeplug Access Point, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11 b/g/n/a, (1 Gigabit Ethernet Port): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories. Will it become a complete waste now?
    The original issue could be that that laptop was using 2.4 GHz which is prone to interference from devices such as microwave ovens etc. In any even, any serious work should be done via cable only.

Drops and grey-outs are invariably caused on the wifi side, not the ISP side.

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    Thanks

Couple of years ago, I invested in Powerline Wifi access point or something as recommended by VirginMedia - NETGEAR PLW1000-100UKS 1000 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Wifi Adapter Homeplug Access Point, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11 b/g/n/a, (1 Gigabit Ethernet Port): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories. Will it become a complete waste now?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    I asked a Virgin engineer who came to fix/replace my Hub 3 again about this and he categorically advised not to do it. I wish I had ignored his advice.
    Ask yourself - if the Hub 3 is so good why don't business customers get given them?

Leave a comment:

• GregRickshaw
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I had a similar issue working from home using Virgin Media as my "fast and reliable" Internet connection using their "wonderful" Hub 3.

Now I switched the Hub 3 to modem only mode and attached a decent MIMO LinkSys router. Since then, very fast Wifi speeds and no connection dropouts.
    Thanks for this

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    I had a similar issue working from home using Virgin Media as my "fast and reliable" Internet connection using their "wonderful" Hub 3.

Now I switched the Hub 3 to modem only mode and attached a decent MIMO LinkSys router. Since then, very fast Wifi speeds and no connection dropouts.
    I asked a Virgin engineer who came to fix/replace my Hub 3 again about this and he categorically advised not to do it. I wish I had ignored his advice.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Also I get the full Wifi speed (up and down) on every device using an attached router. When I was using the Wifi feature of the hub, the speed was max 40% of what I was paying Virgin for.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I'm no expert in this field. I suspect any half decent router will do the trick. The Virgin Home Hub 3 is utter pants.

I have this one:

Linksys EA7500 Dual-Band Wifi Router for Home (Max-Stream AC1900 MU-Mimo Fast Wireless Router): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

This has some good reviews too:
    ASUS RT-AC86U Wi-Fi AC2900 (AI Mesh USB 3.0 Router, AiProtection by Trend Micro, AI Mesh, WTFast Game Accelerator Adaptive QoS, Dual-WAN 3G/4G Support): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied

Thank you. Could you provide me the link to MIMO LinkSys router product? Is MU-MIMO is the same as MIMO?

Found one in Amazon. Does it do the job?

Linksys WRT3200ACM-UK MU-MIMO eSATA/USB 3.0 Gigabit Wi-Fi Router with Open Source: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    Last edited by BigDataPro; 18 August 2020, 11:26.

Leave a comment:

• jainnode
    replied
    something like Wireshark?
    Wireshark . Download
    may be a bit sledgehammer/nut though.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    In my client supplied laptop, Citrix keeps complaining "Connection Lost" and after few seconds "Connection restored".

I'm not a network guy, so I have little clue. Could it be because my Internet connection is dropping every now and then that I am noticing only now?

Are there any open source monitors that can be used to identify these drops, so that I can complain to Virgin?

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    started a topic Open Source Network Monitor?

Open Source Network Monitor?

Working...
X