• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Open Source Network Monitor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Source Network Monitor?

In my client supplied laptop, Citrix keeps complaining "Connection Lost" and after few seconds "Connection restored".

I'm not a network guy, so I have little clue. Could it be because my Internet connection is dropping every now and then that I am noticing only now?

Are there any open source monitors that can be used to identify these drops, so that I can complain to Virgin?

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
    In my client supplied laptop, Citrix keeps complaining "Connection Lost" and after few seconds "Connection restored".

I'm not a network guy, so I have little clue. Could it be because my Internet connection is dropping every now and then that I am noticing only now?

Are there any open source monitors that can be used to identify these drops, so that I can complain to Virgin?
    I had a similar issue working from home using Virgin Media as my "fast and reliable" Internet connection using their "wonderful" Hub 3.

Now I switched the Hub 3 to modem only mode and attached a decent MIMO LinkSys router. Since then, very fast Wifi speeds and no connection dropouts.

Comment

something like Wireshark?
      Wireshark . Download
      may be a bit sledgehammer/nut though.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I had a similar issue working from home using Virgin Media as my "fast and reliable" Internet connection using their "wonderful" Hub 3.

Now I switched the Hub 3 to modem only mode and attached a decent MIMO LinkSys router. Since then, very fast Wifi speeds and no connection dropouts.
        Thank you. Could you provide me the link to MIMO LinkSys router product? Is MU-MIMO is the same as MIMO?

Found one in Amazon. Does it do the job?

Linksys WRT3200ACM-UK MU-MIMO eSATA/USB 3.0 Gigabit Wi-Fi Router with Open Source: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
        Last edited by BigDataPro; 18 August 2020, 11:26.

Comment

I'm no expert in this field. I suspect any half decent router will do the trick. The Virgin Home Hub 3 is utter pants.

I have this one:

Linksys EA7500 Dual-Band Wifi Router for Home (Max-Stream AC1900 MU-Mimo Fast Wireless Router): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

This has some good reviews too:
          ASUS RT-AC86U Wi-Fi AC2900 (AI Mesh USB 3.0 Router, AiProtection by Trend Micro, AI Mesh, WTFast Game Accelerator Adaptive QoS, Dual-WAN 3G/4G Support): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Comment

Also I get the full Wifi speed (up and down) on every device using an attached router. When I was using the Wifi feature of the hub, the speed was max 40% of what I was paying Virgin for.

Comment

I asked a Virgin engineer who came to fix/replace my Hub 3 again about this and he categorically advised not to do it. I wish I had ignored his advice.

Comment

Thanks for this

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                  I asked a Virgin engineer who came to fix/replace my Hub 3 again about this and he categorically advised not to do it. I wish I had ignored his advice.
                  Ask yourself - if the Hub 3 is so good why don't business customers get given them?
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thanks

Couple of years ago, I invested in Powerline Wifi access point or something as recommended by VirginMedia - NETGEAR PLW1000-100UKS 1000 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Wifi Adapter Homeplug Access Point, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11 b/g/n/a, (1 Gigabit Ethernet Port): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories. Will it become a complete waste now?

Comment

Working...
                    X