• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recall email function

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recall email function

How could this ever work if the sender and recipient are not using the same Email product? Someone tried it with me recently, but the original mail remained in my mailbox. Does it ever work?

Get a kitchen timer. Send email when timer completes. You have until timer completes to “recall” your email. Sounds foolproof.

Comment

It lets you know that what they sent is not the final version. It's a way of saying "no need to reply to this, the corrected one will be out soon"

Unfortunately some busybodies see it as the most important thing ever, and will cherish it, ignoring anything that comes after.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

A potentially better implementation would be that the server is configured to hold email for a period of time before sending it on and only send it if a recall isn't received in that time.

Good as you tend to have the "oh tulip!" moment almost immediately.

Bad as comes with it a whole heap of other issues. User complaints, challenges legally about the email timestamp, blah blah.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          A potentially better implementation would be that the server is configured to hold email for a period of time before sending it on and only send it if a recall isn't received in that time.

Good as you tend to have the "oh tulip!" moment almost immediately.

Bad as comes with it a whole heap of other issues. User complaints, challenges legally about the email timestamp, blah blah.
          Better to do that on the client side I would've thought. Better for a client to decide whether they want to delay, not a server. Should be easy to configure a delay into an e-mail client, one chosen by the user. I expect you can already do this.

Comment

I have seen it working properly with intra-Co e-mails from the same Exchange/O365 server/organisation.

As you said cross-organisations it's a hit and miss. I have only used it once or twice within minutes of hitting send. Usually just prefer "reply all" with apologies and the correction.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              I have seen it working properly with intra-Co e-mails from the same Exchange/O365 server/organisation.

As you said cross-organisations it's a hit and miss. I have only used it once or twice within minutes of hitting send. Usually just prefer "reply all" with apologies and the correction.
              The only time that doesn't work is if the email went to the wrong audience in the first place.

Not that I've ever done that, of course....

Comment

The only time that doesn't work is if the email went to the wrong audience in the first place.

I once wrote a pretty scathing e-mail about a tricky customer of mine (I was an account manager at the time) to send to senior management. Of course, I then instinctively put the customers name in the To box.

The Gods of good fortune were just about on my side, as I realised as soon as I pressed the mouse button down. It was like being stood on a mine, as I yelled for my mate to come over and pull out the network cable!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  I once wrote a pretty scathing e-mail about a tricky customer of mine (I was an account manager at the time) to send to senior management. Of course, I then instinctively put the customers name in the To box.

The Gods of good fortune were just about on my side, as I realised as soon as I pressed the mouse button down. It was like being stood on a mine, as I yelled for my mate to come over and pull out the network cable!
                  Oh for those halcyon days of the dial-up modem. You had time to reconsider your stupidity while it whirred its cogs and played a tune.

Comment

I thought the photos were very artistic, the positioning of the leaves in the "Spring" and "Summer" shots was very clever. Some could argue that Autumn was unsubtle, though.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X