• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE workshop: Preparing contractors for Autumn : Weds 29th Sep at 7.15pm. More details here.

New monitors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New monitors

    I'm thinking of upgrading my two monitors. I want something that is "eye friendly". 20"-24" and at least 1920/1080 resolution. Any recommendations?

    What should I be looking for that'll make it easier on the eyes? High refresh rate? High contrast ratio?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

    #2
    I'm really happy with my new monitor, which is a single widescreen jobby that can act like two independent monitors.
    Dell U3419W

    Nearly sent it back cos it wasn't intuitive to set up but I'm glad I persevered. Got 10% cashback via my Amex

    I think frame rate and decent resolution are good for less eye strain, as does making sure simple things like brightness and contrast are well configured.

    Comment


      #3
      Last year I changed from a monitor to a 40" 4K telly. Lots of "real estate" and it's really working well for me (mostly dev work these days).

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I'm really happy with my new monitor, which is a single widescreen jobby that can act like two independent monitors.
        Dell U3419W

        Nearly sent it back cos it wasn't intuitive to set up but I'm glad I persevered. Got 10% cashback via my Amex

        I think frame rate and decent resolution are good for less eye strain, as does making sure simple things like brightness and contrast are well configured.
        I have a much earlier version of the ultra-wide screens (DELL U2913WM). It's brilliant; no way would I want to go back to two monitors.
        ---

        Former member of IPSE.


        ---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

        ---

        Comment


          #5
          I use a 34" ultrawide Samsung. Much prefer this to 2 monitors. And it's great for gaming

          If you're a member of IPSE you can go into the Samsung website via their Perkbox thing and get a discount.

          Comment


            #6
            At times I have to use two different video inputs at the same time. The Dell looks cool - £685 from my local supplier.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              At times I have to use two different video inputs at the same time. The Dell looks cool - £685 from my local supplier.
              It works really well for that. Currently doing exactly that.

              I have my desktop on the right hand side of the monitor connected via HDMI and clientco laptop on the left, connected by USB-C. It's powering the laptop over USB-C so far fewer cables too!

              If you can install Dell Display Manager on all the inputs you'll be using, you can then use the monitor as a KVM and use the display manager software to switch.

              You will have to download the manual as there's things they don't tell you - like the pairing of the inputs/outputs to make all this work.

              I sort of like the way, if you're using the screen with a single input, you can 'zone' the monitor and snap windows to each zone. I say sort of because it automatically assumes everything should be sized to fill the zone as soon as you move a window and it doesn't allow resizing or the occasional application to overlap the zones. I tend to turn it on to position key things and then turn it off again.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                It works really well for that. Currently doing exactly that.

                I have my desktop on the right hand side of the monitor connected via HDMI and clientco laptop on the left, connected by USB-C. It's powering the laptop over USB-C so far fewer cables too!

                If you can install Dell Display Manager on all the inputs you'll be using, you can then use the monitor as a KVM and use the display manager software to switch.

                You will have to download the manual as there's things they don't tell you - like the pairing of the inputs/outputs to make all this work.

                I sort of like the way, if you're using the screen with a single input, you can 'zone' the monitor and snap windows to each zone. I say sort of because it automatically assumes everything should be sized to fill the zone as soon as you move a window and it doesn't allow resizing or the occasional application to overlap the zones. I tend to turn it on to position key things and then turn it off again.
                The DDM seems to break Windows 10's default "snapping". I'd quite like three, vertical zones via DDM, but I prefer the Win10 snap function more... so two zones will have to do for me... or quarters with stuff going on in each corner of the screen.
                ---

                Former member of IPSE.


                ---
                Many a mickle makes a muckle.

                ---

                Comment


                  #9
                  I went with a Samsung 49 inch Ultrawide QLED Curved monitor.
                  https://www.samsung.com/uk/monitors/curved-chg90d/

                  This replaced my Philips 40 inch monitor (which was fine).

                  I found myself switching between applications a fair bit on the 40 inch monitor so moving to a wide screen has been a good move. If you do a lot of programming in one IDE and not much switching then the 40 inch monitor is better for reading code, you just have more height.

                  The Samsung is pretty good for connectivity, I can switch between my laptop and pc, fairly easily. If you do have a mac make sure it can support the resolution, for example my Mac Mini won't support the full resolution of the wide screen monitor.

                  One very minor issue, if you do have a stand up desk putting a widescreen monitor with all the weight on it may cause some rocking, it's annoying.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    I went with a Samsung 49 inch Ultrawide QLED Curved monitor.
                    49 Inch Ultrawide QLED Curved Gaming Monitor C49HG90DMU | Samsung UK

                    This replaced my Philips 40 inch monitor (which was fine).

                    I found myself switching between applications a fair bit on the 40 inch monitor so moving to a wide screen has been a good move. If you do a lot of programming in one IDE and not much switching then the 40 inch monitor is better for reading code, you just have more height.

                    The Samsung is pretty good for connectivity, I can switch between my laptop and pc, fairly easily. If you do have a mac make sure it can support the resolution, for example my Mac Mini won't support the full resolution of the wide screen monitor.

                    One very minor issue, if you do have a stand up desk putting a widescreen monitor with all the weight on it may cause some rocking, it's annoying.
                    Really - not noticed it with my standing desk and two monitors on a centralised mount.

                    That probably has a lot to do with the 4cm thick desktop I put it on.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X