• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Can I mention Affiliate marketing, Stock Trading etc on my CV during career break?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Can I mention Affiliate marketing, Stock Trading etc on my CV during career break?

    I am a developer with 10+ years but been on career break for 3+ years to attend to health issues of my kid which is now sorted.

    I was not sure if and when I will be able to get back to work and was mostly occupied attending to my kid. I did not(could not) do much to be in touch with my core tech kills. Did try some passive income options like Amazon Affiliate Marketing, blogging, YouTube channel but could not do justice here either. I tried day trading and value investing in Stocks and also invested in Crypto currencies.

    Can I mention these are the activities I was doing in my career break? I am not sure how this will be perceived by recruiters and employers.

    Thank you for your help and time.

    Kind regards,
    Stit

    #2
    Does it make you any more desirable for the role you are going for. If it doesn't there isn't much point putting it on.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

    Comment


      #3
      Ditto what NLUK says. If it's not relevant to the role you're going for there's no point including it.

      If you're trying to show a reason for not working for three years then a bit of honesty without giving full details will be fine.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Ditto what NLUK says. If it's not relevant to the role you're going for there's no point including it.

        If you're trying to show a reason for not working for three years then a bit of honesty without giving full details will be fine.
        This.

        Unfortunately, honesty wouldn't work for me because I quit because I was sick of the office environment and most of all the people.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
          This.

          Unfortunately, honesty wouldn't work for me because I quit because I was sick of the office environment and most of all the people.


          That's usually why I don't extend contracts. Or, I'm just bored.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by stit View Post
            I tried day trading and value investing in Stocks and also invested in Crypto currencies.
            Presumably without life-changing results?
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
              Presumably without life-changing results?
              I tried active management of my pension fund (SIPP), and it did have life-changing results...
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                Presumably without life-changing results?
                At the moment, it is too early to conclude but my equity portfolio is doing good with very good % profit. I can apply the similar learning and continue them in parallel with my full time job.
                Though I could not do spend time enough, I am sure I can do well here too.

                I think one option is to replace the career break with "Self employed : affiliate marketing, youtube channel, stock trading and value investing"

                That way, companies and recruiters think I was not doing anything and wasting time on TV or just lazying around. They may not believe attending to kid's health issues can keep one occupied so much and so long !! And, I can't explain the details as health issues etc are privacy and personal . Couple of recruiters were even saying 'can you show the proof about the health issues ? What exactly what the issue?'. Hmm !!

                Thanks,
                Stit

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by stit View Post
                  At the moment, it is too early to conclude but my equity portfolio is doing good with very good % profit. I can apply the similar learning and continue them in parallel with my full time job.
                  Though I could not do spend time enough, I am sure I can do well here too.

                  I think one option is to replace the career break with "Self employed : affiliate marketing, youtube channel, stock trading and value investing"

                  That way, companies and recruiters think I was not doing anything and wasting time on TV or just lazying around. They may not believe attending to kid's health issues can keep one occupied so much and so long !! And, I can't explain the details as health issues etc are privacy and personal . Couple of recruiters were even saying 'can you show the proof about the health issues ? What exactly what the issue?'. Hmm !!

                  Thanks,
                  Stit
                  Mods, please move this to General, please? Pretty please? I promise I won't ask for anything else, ever...
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by stit View Post
                    At the moment, it is too early to conclude but my equity portfolio is doing good with very good % profit. I can apply the similar learning and continue them in parallel with my full time job.
                    Though I could not do spend time enough, I am sure I can do well here too.

                    I think one option is to replace the career break with "Self employed : affiliate marketing, youtube channel, stock trading and value investing"

                    That way, companies and recruiters think I was not doing anything and wasting time on TV or just lazying around. They may not believe attending to kid's health issues can keep one occupied so much and so long !! And, I can't explain the details as health issues etc are privacy and personal . Couple of recruiters were even saying 'can you show the proof about the health issues ? What exactly what the issue?'. Hmm !!

                    Thanks,
                    Stit
                    Instead of self-employed, how about calling it "Personal development: Learning about blah blah blah"?
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X