• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Can I mention Affiliate marketing, Stock Trading etc on my CV during career break?"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by stit View Post
    At the moment, it is too early to conclude but my equity portfolio is doing good with very good % profit. I can apply the similar learning and continue them in parallel with my full time job.
    Though I could not do spend time enough, I am sure I can do well here too.

I think one option is to replace the career break with "Self employed : affiliate marketing, youtube channel, stock trading and value investing"

That way, companies and recruiters think I was not doing anything and wasting time on TV or just lazying around. They may not believe attending to kid's health issues can keep one occupied so much and so long !! And, I can't explain the details as health issues etc are privacy and personal . Couple of recruiters were even saying 'can you show the proof about the health issues ? What exactly what the issue?'. Hmm !!

Thanks,
    Stit
    Instead of self-employed, how about calling it "Personal development: Learning about blah blah blah"?

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    At the moment, it is too early to conclude but my equity portfolio is doing good with very good % profit. I can apply the similar learning and continue them in parallel with my full time job.

I think one option is to replace the career break with "Self employed : affiliate marketing, youtube channel, stock trading and value investing"

That way, companies and recruiters think I was not doing anything and wasting time on TV or just lazying around. They may not believe attending to kid's health issues can keep one occupied so much and so long !! And, I can't explain the details as health issues etc are privacy and personal . Couple of recruiters were even saying 'can you show the proof about the health issues ? What exactly what the issue?'. Hmm !!

Thanks,
    Stit
    Mods, please move this to General, please? Pretty please? I promise I won't ask for anything else, ever...

Leave a comment:

• stit
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    Presumably without life-changing results?

Thanks,
    Stit

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    I tried active management of my pension fund (SIPP), and it did have life-changing results...

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    I tried day trading and value investing in Stocks and also invested in Crypto currencies.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    This.

Unfortunately, honesty wouldn't work for me because I quit because I was sick of the office environment and most of all the people.

That's usually why I don't extend contracts. Or, I'm just bored.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Ditto what NLUK says. If it's not relevant to the role you're going for there's no point including it.

If you're trying to show a reason for not working for three years then a bit of honesty without giving full details will be fine.
    This.

Unfortunately, honesty wouldn't work for me because I quit because I was sick of the office environment and most of all the people.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Ditto what NLUK says. If it's not relevant to the role you're going for there's no point including it.

If you're trying to show a reason for not working for three years then a bit of honesty without giving full details will be fine.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Does it make you any more desirable for the role you are going for. If it doesn't there isn't much point putting it on.

Leave a comment:

• Can I mention Affiliate marketing, Stock Trading etc on my CV during career break?

I am a developer with 10+ years but been on career break for 3+ years to attend to health issues of my kid which is now sorted.

I was not sure if and when I will be able to get back to work and was mostly occupied attending to my kid. I did not(could not) do much to be in touch with my core tech kills. Did try some passive income options like Amazon Affiliate Marketing, blogging, YouTube channel but could not do justice here either. I tried day trading and value investing in Stocks and also invested in Crypto currencies.

Can I mention these are the activities I was doing in my career break? I am not sure how this will be perceived by recruiters and employers.

Thank you for your help and time.

Kind regards,
    Stit

Working...
X