• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is online banking safe on Linux?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is online banking safe on Linux?

Question in the title really.

Mr C is contemplating switching to Linux but is a bit worried about this.

I think that it would probably be ok, but ‘probably’ doesn’t cut the mustard.

Any thoughts?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Any thoughts?
    depends on the firewall/AV you use, and which distro, really.

i use a mint laptop occasionally, with comodo <free> AV and i've encountered no probs yet.

i don't claim expert status, - i'm a Z/OS dino ;-)

Comment

Mint probably, and I have suggested Comodo (as well as ClamAV/tk, but this maybe overkill?).
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

well i don't see that as being any less secure than windoze.
        <i use comodo on windoze too>
        and there's less malware designed for Linux.
        you could go into paranoid mode and play around with reverse proxies and such, but i don't see the point for mundane use.

Comment

You use either an iPhone or Android for your banking already? They are Linux / Unix based.
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
            You use either an iPhone or Android for your banking already? They are Linux / Unix based.
            I don’t, but I see your point.

Comment

Any thoughts?
              the question should be a little different.
              The OS is far less relaveant than the browser. Modern browsers are very well sandboxed so OS vulnerabilities are far less likely to be an issue.

So use a modern, up to date browser and you're good.

Of course check the SSL certs are all good, and check the URLs, but that's common sense whether using Linux, MacOS, Windows or OS2
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                the question should be a little different.
                The OS is far less relaveant than the browser. Modern browsers are very well sandboxed so OS vulnerabilities are far less likely to be an issue.

So use a modern, up to date browser and you're good.

Of course check the SSL certs are all good, and check the URLs, but that's common sense whether using Linux, MacOS, Windows or OS2
                Thanks Lance. I've suggested Firefox or Chrome and he's less twitchy than he was.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Opera?

How to Install Latest Opera 51 Browser in Linux
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Yes, it is safe and IMHO moreso than with any other O/S. For top security make sure SELinux is in enforcing mode.

If you're really paranoid, use a live disc as recommended by the Washington Post, and various crime-prevention agencies including NSW Police.

Comment

Working...
                    X