• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can someone explain to me POE?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone explain to me POE?

I have a router that accepts POE, at the moment it’s got a power cable and an Ethernet cable from a HomePlug adapter.

Ideally I’d like one unit that can supply both power and data to the router, does such a homeplug type thing exist.

If not what’s the deal with injectors/splitters and which is needed
    Last edited by SimonMac; 15 December 2018, 12:05.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I have a router that accepts POE, at the moment it’s got a power cable and an Ethernet cable from a HomePlug adapter.

Ideally I’d like one unit that can supply both power and data to the router, does such a homeplug type thing exist.

If not what’s the deal with injectors/splitters and which is needed
    This?

Solwise AV 500 Powerline/HomePlug Adapter w/ 48v PoE Support (Single) NET-PL-500AV-POE

Comment

Purity Of Essence

Peace On Earth

OPE = the recall code from Dr Strangelove...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEyedJacks View Post
        Peace On Earth

OPE = the recall code from Dr Strangelove...
        You called?
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

My Netgear Homeplugs have a 13 amp socket on them, one of which is feeding the wifi exender with both ethernet and power.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            My Netgear Homeplugs have a 13 amp socket on them, one of which is feeding the wifi exender with both ethernet and power.
            They are passthrough, so you still need a LAN cable and a power cable, but they come from the same wall socket. Power Over Ethernet means you just have one cable providing data and power to the unit

I will probably go for Pondy's options long term, at the moment I have a switch which is POE compliant so is powering the router from that
            Last edited by SimonMac; 20 December 2018, 14:15.
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Famous poet and author, quite sinister. HTHBIDI
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                They are passthrough, so you still need a LAN cable and a power cable, but they come from the same wall socket. Power Over Ethernet means you just have one cable providing data and power to the unit

I will probably go for Pondy's options long term, at the moment I have a switch which is POE compliant so is powering the router from that
                Ah, quite right. Totally missed the import of POE...
                Last edited by malvolio; 20 December 2018, 14:31.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                X