• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cloning larger HDD to smaller one

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did similar recently when moving to a bigger SSD, using the free tools available in W10.

Following will work if the new drive is larger than the partitions being moved.

1. Create Windows system image, which will include the essential boot partition, and any recovery partition. Also will give you option of creating a boot CD/USB.

2. Restore the image onto the new drive. (ensure old hard drive is unplugged to avoid mistakes of overwriting old drive until sure new one works ok. )

3. If the recovery partition placement interferes with ability to extend new primary partition to utilise rest of new disk space, delete it using 'diskpart' (presuming the recovery stuff is of no real use now using a different drive and have more up to date system image as a restorable backup).

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...w8itproinstall

4. W10 will auto register now they keep the key assigned to the hardware, which is unaffected by hard drive changes.

Only gotcha was making sure the image backup was on a network drive accessible via the Windows boot process. Ended up using a spare USB drive of suitable capacity.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      Doesn't allow me to apply changes unless I buy it.
      Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Bah... This make me glum.
      Glummer, I'd have thought

Comment

That was a load of old bollox.

I couldn't get Macrorit to read the system drive as it kept giving me an error message that yielded no googleable results. It could be because it's a bug as the release on offer only came out a few days ago by the looks of things.

Tried the system restore method. Created the image file on an external USB, booted with a repair DVD and tried to restore but is said the 280Gb drive was too small for the 58Gb backup image.

So, bollox to it, ordered a new HDD and remirrored the System drive onto the 280Gb one and they can both stay there.

Cheers for all your input though folks. It was appreciated.

Comment

Tried the system restore method. Created the image file on an external USB, booted with a repair DVD and tried to restore but is said the 280Gb drive was too small for the 58Gb backup image.

I'm guessing the hidden partitions (boot and recovery) were over 80GB if the Windows partition was 200GB (as per your opening post), so wouldn't fit within 280GB.

The create image process allows you to select which partitions to include in the image in terms of drive letters but think it always includes the hidden partitions, so a bit stuck. Deleting the recovery partition (if that was what caused the image to become too big to restore) before creating the image may have worked but would be a risk in that you are destroying data before having a working alternative.

A new bigger hard drive as they're cheap as chips is, as you found, one way of simplifying it all for a few quid.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

GParted -- A free application for graphically managing disk
            device partitions
            is the only partitioning/cloning tool you will ever need. Free and can do everything.

Comment

Doesn't allow me to apply changes unless I buy it.
              AYCOTBAC?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Whenever I have migrated a cloned drive I have been able to download the SSD or HDD manufacturers version of Acronis True Image software. Works a treat. When you run the Acronis software it checks that you have a drive made by the firm whose website you downloaded it from installed. It doesn't have to be the target you are cloning to, but that's where I've always looked. For example, I've cloned a couple of HDDs to Crucial SSDs using Acronis True Image downloaded from Crucial. Works like a charm and is free. I recently cloned a 750gb Win 10 HDD to a 500gb Crucial SSD with no issues whatsoever.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                X