• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electric garage doors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric garage doors

Does anyone have one?

Due to the West Midlands still going through horrendous car crime wave (due to insurance companies selling right-offs to criminal gangs) I actually need my garage to keep my car in. Bit of a pain with the old up and over. Need something electric. Do then keep the garage warmer?

Any recommendations?

TIA

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Does anyone have one?

Due to the West Midlands still going through horrendous car crime wave (due to insurance companies selling right-offs to criminal gangs) I actually need my garage to keep my car in. Bit of a pain with the old up and over. Need something electric. Do then keep the garage warmer?

Any recommendations?

TIA

qh
    Yep, got some fitted a few years back to replace an old up and over. Well worth it - mine was a double garage door, ~£1600 fitted. Did have one problem with the door not stopping at the top limit once, but the fitters came out and adjusted something - 5 minute job and all sorted.

Although I was told it would be warmer, etc, it's a detached garage so I can't really comment on this.

One thing on security - you may need a manual override externally to gain entry in a power cut, unless you have another entrance into the garage. I do, so didn't have the override fitted.

The company I used (Skandoor) are based in the South, although looks like they supply to other fitters so may be worth asking them for one local to you.

Else, if you have a local facebook group, ask there for recommendations. Or checkatrade ???

Comment

I had a Hormann sectional fitted a few years back. Thick, insulated door panels, nice and strong.

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
        I had a Hormann sectional fitted a few years back. Thick, insulated door panels, nice and strong.
        That's how MF likes his men.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks all. I contractor I work with has a Hormann, he rates them also.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

+1 for Hörmann from me.

Comment

Working...
            X