• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do I use netflix app (on TV/firetv) with a vpn ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I use netflix app (on TV/firetv) with a vpn ?

I would like to able to switch countries for Netflix on the Smart TV or fireTV stick. I currently use nordvpn and I am aware I can set it up with my Asus DSL AC68U router. I am not so keen on all household traffic through the vpn just because I am watching Netflix.

I don't much about networking So was wondering if it was possible to have a software based solution where the TV is routed through PC (or virtual machine) which in turn connects to my asus router. I can then install a nordvpn client software on the virtual machine?.

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    I would like to able to switch countries for Netflix on the Smart TV or fireTV stick. I currently use nordvpn and I am aware I can set it up with my Asus DSL AC68U router. I am not so keen on all household traffic through the vpn just because I am watching Netflix.
    This Merlin firmware which is compatible with the AC68U allows you to set up multiple VPN connections and route specific devices inside your network through the particular VPN's. All other traffic goes out via the normal ISP route.

Comment

Like this?

https://troypoint.com/install-vpn-on-fire-tv-stick/

It does use IPVanish though. I thought you had to be careful with some VPN's. If it drops it will show your original IP address so you can be tracked and you'll get banned by Neflix? IPVanish seems to be popular as it doesn't reveal your IP if the VPN fails for whatever reason.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Netflix does not work through vpn's any more. I tried maybe 8 or 10 vpn's that claim to work. None work. Even worse, bandwidth dropped so much I couldn't stream anything anyway. Speed tests showed often a 90% or worse hit on download speed. Waste of money and effort was my conclusion. Edited to add, yes I tried Nord vpn, it is blocked by Netflix.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
          This Merlin firmware which is compatible with the AC68U allows you to set up multiple VPN connections and route specific devices inside your network through the particular VPN's. All other traffic goes out via the normal ISP route.
          The merlin software is only for the RT units not the DSL versions.

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Netflix does not work through vpn's any more. I tried maybe 8 or 10 vpn's that claim to work. None work. Even worse, bandwidth dropped so much I couldn't stream anything anyway. Speed tests showed often a 90% or worse hit on download speed. Waste of money and effort was my conclusion. Edited to add, yes I tried Nord vpn, it is blocked by Netflix.
          I used Nordvpn to watch ANON last week on my Ipad which is not available in the UK.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Like this?

https://troypoint.com/install-vpn-on-fire-tv-stick/

It does use IPVanish though. I thought you had to be careful with some VPN's. If it drops it will show your original IP address so you can be tracked and you'll get banned by Neflix? IPVanish seems to be popular as it doesn't reveal your IP if the VPN fails for whatever reason.
          I did not know Netflix banned users doing this. That might not go down well with the household if my account is banned!

just found GL.iNet travel routers on amazon with openwrt & openvpn. I take it that for use at home I will just connect TV to this which in turn connects to my existing router?

Comment

Ah. It appears they ban VPNs not users. Maybe it's amazon that does that then. My apologies.

Comment

Why don't you...

WDYJSOYTSAGOADSLBI
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I used Nordvpn to watch ANON last week on my Ipad which is not available in the UK
                It is, on NowTV as ANON is a Sky Cinema funded movie so available on Sky same time it was released at the cinema.

Just last week my brother was moaning about getting an email from his ISP about copyright breach, specifically naming the current Jack Reacher movie. He uses an android box to stream stuff, alongside a NowTV (that we share a sub for as you can have multiple devices on one sub even if they're at different geographical locations ). Having looked into it, he selected 'download' as the stream option wasn't available as he hadn't updated the app for a while, so was using a torrent (which ISPs are hot about as they are sharing copyright content, where streaming is currently 'ok' as you are not sharing with others as a distributor). I told him I'd watched the Jack Reacher movie weeks ago via NowTV, the dozy sod hadn't bothered to check it was on there first.

Point being often you can be legit without all this VPN bollox, though you probably need subscriptions for Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, NowTV (entertainment and movie subs), ... to cover all currently available bases.

Why can't there be one subscription that covers it all. At least in the days of the video shop you could get access to all the titles in one place. Not to mention 'under the counter' offerings (banned video nasties and adult entertainment) if you knew the person behind the till well enough.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I used Nordvpn to watch ANON last week on my Ipad which is not available in the UK.
                  I used NordVPN but the speed was very slow. Currently, using PureVPN which has a far better speed as compare to nord. Good service with a bunch of available features.

Comment

I guess if you are a techie and want to play as well as get the content you are after it might be worth it but isn't it a lot of hassle just watch what appears to be a pretty average film early when there is so much good stuff on our regional Netflix already?

Comment

Working...
                    X