• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2014 Mini Countryman Cooper S ALL4

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2014 Mini Countryman Cooper S ALL4

Looking for sensible (or as best you lot can do!) comments, esp people who own or have owned one.

Was at a Networking event and told a mini sales lady about having car nicked, would love another GTi but can risk the wife getting car jacked (The scum WILL NOT be getting in the house again!).

Anywho been offered a decent deal on a Cooper S ALL4 (and having asked around it seems a decent deal), TBH they are a bit ugly but for pootling around with the kids, it could be sufficient for now. Having test drive on Friday.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

One of my neighbours loves minis. She insists on buying them and no amount of advice or logic will talk her out. Her first one the handbrake failed several times, the clutch went after 4 years and the brakes were replaced several times.
    She changed it for a 4wd version which has been back in the shop a couple of times for problems with the paint and brakes. I've driven her 4wd one and maybe it was the tyres on it, or maybe it just was a shockingly bad car to drive when the roads were anything other than dry.
    Another neighbour had a mini a few years ago where the handbrake failed and the car rolled about 20 metres down a road before being stopped by a house. (handbrake went on it a couple more times before she bought a LandRover.)

So, my opinion is: overpriced, poor build quality, not great to drive. You get a lot of "style" for your money, but very little substance.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

A reverse Tardis car, a bit like the current Jeeps. Big on the outside, smaller on the inside. Stupid (and hard to read) dashboard. And overpriced. Otherwise...

There are many far better options. Try the latest Fiestas for a start. And imho, for small cars 4wd is a waste of time and money (and fuel), a decent TCS will do the same job 99% of the time.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        One of my neighbours loves minis. She insists on buying them and no amount of advice or logic will talk her out. Her first one the handbrake failed several times, the clutch went after 4 years and the brakes were replaced several times.
        She changed it for a 4wd version which has been back in the shop a couple of times for problems with the paint and brakes. I've driven her 4wd one and maybe it was the tyres on it, or maybe it just was a shockingly bad car to drive when the roads were anything other than dry.
        Another neighbour had a mini a few years ago where the handbrake failed and the car rolled about 20 metres down a road before being stopped by a house. (handbrake went on it a couple more times before she bought a LandRover.)

So, my opinion is: overpriced, poor build quality, not great to drive. You get a lot of "style" for your money, but very little substance.
        They do seem to be "marmite" cars, acording to the reviews I've read, ie loved or hated. Lots of reports on HonestJohn about build quality which is a worry.

qh

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          A reverse Tardis car, a bit like the current Jeeps. Big on the outside, smaller on the inside. Stupid (and hard to read) dashboard. And overpriced. Otherwise...

There are many far better options. Try the latest Fiestas for a start. And imho, for small cars 4wd is a waste of time and money (and fuel), a decent TCS will do the same job 99% of the time.
          Fiat Panda is (and always has been) the best small 4wd around. You only need to drive in the alps to know that. The new one is pretty good, and is about £10k less than the Mini.
          The Fiat 500X is a bit more stylish than the Panda, and about £5k less than the Mini for a well specced one.
          For the price of the Mini you could have a VW Tiguan and change or an Audi Q3.

Comment

Fiat Panda is (and always has been) the best small 4wd around. You only need to drive in the alps to know that. The new one is pretty good, and is about £10k less than the Mini.
            The Fiat 500X is a bit more stylish than the Panda, and about £5k less than the Mini for a well specced one.
            For the price of the Mini you could have a VW Tiguan and change or an Audi Q3.
            They are also on the list but a Q3 is a bit pricey. There's a VW dealership over the road from client site and I was admiring the Tiguan whilst walking past this morning.

qh

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
              They are also on the list but a Q3 is a bit pricey. There's a VW dealership over the road from client site and I was admiring the Tiguan whilst walking past this morning.

qh
              Stop fannying around. Get a Golf R.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Stop fannying around. Get a Golf R.
                If it came with a nice Sig Sauer 9mm I probably would.

qh

Comment

Are you buying new or 2nd hand?

If it's new, consider using carwow, broadspeed or drivethedeal to get a price -I've just used carwow for The Wife's Q3 and got the car built to order from an Audi dealer. List price was £34k with all the bits we wanted, got £5k off via carwow (and a £20 amazon voucher), then cancelled the PCP loan about 5 minutes after leaving the dealer, so paid no interest on it, which took it down to £27.5k

...and that is the other tip, tell them you want finance, work out the cheapest overall, and cancel it as soon as you leave the showroom.

Comment

...and that is the other tip, tell them you want finance, work out the cheapest overall, and cancel it as soon as you leave the showroom.
                    ...provided you pay it off that is...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X