• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clone a Mac Book Pro HDD to a SSD?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Adding to this - the weirdness happening to my MBP may well be due to a problem with the SSD. They did say that SSDs don't last forever and this one has lasted 6 years.

But I got the MBP in April 2012 and I'm worried about spending > £200 on a replacement SSD only for Apple to stop supporting MBP 2011's.

Is it worth the gamble, or do I just buy a new PC?
    Write it off through depreciation and buy a new one though the Ltd. Simples.

Oh, wait, you can't
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Adding to this - the weirdness happening to my MBP may well be due to a problem with the SSD. They did say that SSDs don't last forever and this one has lasted 6 years.

But I got the MBP in April 2012 and I'm worried about spending > £200 on a replacement SSD only for Apple to stop supporting MBP 2011's.

Is it worth the gamble, or do I just buy a new PC?
      Depends what size SSD you need. The 512Gb Crucial that I put in the MBP was about 120 quid. Not a huge investment for totally transforming the machine. And if you do chuck away the MBP in a couple of years you get to keep the SSD for something else.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Depends what size SSD you need. The 512Gb Crucial that I put in the MBP was about 120 quid. Not a huge investment for totally transforming the machine. And if you do chuck away the MBP in a couple of years you get to keep the SSD for something else.
        Ah, that's much cheaper than than the 512 I bought in 2012!

And you're quite right about pulling it out when I'm forced to replace. I'll do that Fred, thanks.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Ah, that's much cheaper than than the 512 I bought in 2012!
          I think the 512GB SSD as a factory fit was something like £750 extra compared to a HDD when my company bought an MBP in 2011.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            I think the 512GB SSD as a factory fit was something like £750 extra compared to a HDD when my company bought an MBP in 2011.
            Which is why I trashed the warranty immediately and put a Crucial in it.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
            X