• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Desktop left out in the rain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop left out in the rain

Long story, but any tips?

Plan to encase the desktop in a blanket with lots of silica gel packets.

It would be nice if the desktop still works but the HDD is my priority, so going to remove it then dry it off and connect it to a laptop via a Sata to USB cable.

Thanks

VC

What type of rain? Light drizzle or coming horizontal? How much ingress of water has there been?

Desktops aren't exactly densely packed so I don't think you'll need silica packs. Just a good chance to dry out somewhere warm with a movement of air.

Unless it's been outside for weeks in driving rain I'd be very surprised if the drives are affected but only you'll know 'cause you are looking at it.

If you dry it out thoroughly, take it apart, dry it, put it back together and let it dry again then your only real worry is the motherboard battery shorting (or any other battery in it) I would have thought?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Stick it in the middle of a box of uncooked rice and leave it alone for a few days. It works for phones so should work for laptops.

HDD will need the same treatment of course. The gap between head and disc is smaller than even a small drop of water by some margin. If it's still damp you get a head crash and even on a modern Winchester-style disk that is not a good idea.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Assuming it was shut down during ordeal, if it was running there isn't much hope.

Mobo and RAM/GPU are likely goners due to corrosion already started, the CPU, HDD and PSU have some chance for life if properly dried out.

Before connecting the HDD to the USB of the laptop connect it to at least some old PSU to power it on and check if the magic smoke that drives it escapes. You don't want to short your Laptop.

Comment

Tbh I don't know how long it was left out - maybe a week, and in that time we've had torrential rain. Only good thing was that it was off.

Was going to use a crappy laptop in case it shorts it
          Last edited by VillageContractor; 2 January 2018, 15:34.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk
            Erm...
            Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
            HDD is my priority, so going to remove it then dry it off and connect it to a laptop via a Sata to USB cable.
            Erm...

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
              Tbh I don't know how long it was left out - maybe a week, and in that time we've had torrential rain.

Was going to use a crappy laptop in case it shorts it
              What does it look like inside? We want details man.. Was water dripping off everything and it's growing mould or does it look dry?

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                Erm...
                Erm....

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Stick it in the middle of a box of uncooked rice and leave it alone for a few days. It works for phones so should work for laptops.

HDD will need the same treatment of course. The gap between head and disc is smaller than even a small drop of water by some margin. If it's still damp you get a head crash and even on a modern Winchester-style disk that is not a good idea.
                  +1

The rice attracts Asians people and they are great at fixing electronics
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    What does it look like inside? We want details man.. Was water dripping off everything and it's growing mould or does it look dry?
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X