• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Restricing/blocking wifi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    IMO trying to manage it through technology just doesn't work. It's just too easy to find a work around and if there is one out there the kids will know it better than you will. He'll still surf it away from home or get on the BT hotspots etc.

You are gonna have a tough few years managing this. There is no quick fix. You can stop technology being allowed upstairs overnight, put parental controls or something like K9 on as many devices as you can and you as a parent can step up. Turning wifi off isn't the answer.

Better to educate them than stop them.
    Eh?! WTF.

This is PCs son we are talking about
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Make sure you don't block all websites.

https://www.dwpe-services.direct.gov...ortal/jsaol/lp
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        IMO trying to manage it through technology just doesn't work. It's just too easy to find a work around and if there is one out there the kids will know it better than you will. He'll still surf it away from home or get on the BT hotspots etc.

You are gonna have a tough few years managing this. There is no quick fix. You can stop technology being allowed upstairs overnight, put parental controls or something like K9 on as many devices as you can and you as a parent can step up. Turning wifi off isn't the answer.

Better to educate them than stop them.

Aye. I wish nluk.

As I'm sure I've mentioned before hes got "issues" which make things more difficult anyway.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

If you want something simple for the mrs to control, just get two wifi devices with different access so mrs can just turn one off (or press wifi on/off button if it has one) without affecting the other.

No need for any technical skills to operate whatsoever, as long as the correct one is turned off!

Edit: Obviously, you'll need to ensure the one you want to keep lad away from is locked down with no default access as per label on the device and no 'press button to connect' setup option.
          Last edited by Hobosapien; 12 December 2017, 16:58.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Ideal would be a way to disable for specific devices (his pc and phone, sky maybe)
            A hammer should do the trick.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              A hammer should do the trick.

He has always maintained he's not experienced in 1st line support.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Aye. I wish nluk.

As I'm sure I've mentioned before hes got "issues" which make things more difficult anyway.
                As in "parental issues"?
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Sure I'm not the only one with a teenage kid....

Obvious solution is change password but then thats just hassle for everyone else, sky box, etc etc.

Ideal would be a way to disable for specific devices (his pc and phone, sky maybe) or allow for specific devices and be able to turn off easily (remotely if possible).

Any such thing exists? BTW got a TP link router (to replace the bog standard bt one).

Now all I need to do is restrict sky without taking card out.
                  Get on one of the Meraki webinars for a free access point, I have a group policy set up for the kids which is restricted by time and content, if they piss me off I can disable individual devices or the entire group
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

My friend(yes really!) had issues with his kids spending too much time in their room on their devices. So he turned off the router.

Kids : Router has gone off
                    Friend : I turned it off
                    Kids : Why
                    Friend : As you are not talking to anyone
                    Kids : We are talking to people
                    Friend : Not to me

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Kids : We are talking to people
                      Friend : Not to me

Studies probably show that most adults contacting kids online aren't actually pedoes, just their parents having to use subterfuge to get a conversation out of them.
                      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                      X