• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home Automation (Alexa)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Automation (Alexa)

Have a few Sonos devices around the house, got a new Amazon Firestick recently and it comes with Alexa so been playing around with what it can do, and it's OK I guess, but I assume that could be because I am not utilising the best of it.

For example it's good for starting radio stations on the Sonos, but doesn't work with local libraries or playlists (yet I hope), if there is a cheap Echo Dot as part of the Black Friday deals from Amazon I might make the jump rather than having to use the Firestick remote, but what else can it do, who has something set up that they can show off?

I think next steps are lighting (although most of the house uses stupid halogen spot lights rather than real bulbs) and a smart thermostat for the central heating.

Is Alexa the best to build a system round (Apple fan boy at heart) how does it stand up against the HomeKit?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

I was pretty disappointed with Alexa and it's options for controlling stuff around the house. I've probably under estimated what is required for home automation but everything needed me to buy extra stuff like hubs, sockets and bulbs that are compatible with Alexa but was struggling to see a single centralised solution. All the extra kit I had to buy (which isn't cheap) put me right off so gave up with it. Even worse when you've actually got to dig out the remote to speak to it. At least with the Dot you don't need to so that.

If you are going to go down that route I'd say you need to do a lot of planning to make sure you get the most out of whatever you are going to buy.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Have a few Sonos devices around the house, got a new Amazon Firestick recently and it comes with Alexa so been playing around with what it can do, and it's OK I guess, but I assume that could be because I am not utilising the best of it.

For example it's good for starting radio stations on the Sonos, but doesn't work with local libraries or playlists (yet I hope), if there is a cheap Echo Dot as part of the Black Friday deals from Amazon I might make the jump rather than having to use the Firestick remote, but what else can it do, who has something set up that they can show off?

I think next steps are lighting (although most of the house uses stupid halogen spot lights rather than real bulbs) and a smart thermostat for the central heating.

Is Alexa the best to build a system round (Apple fan boy at heart) how does it stand up against the HomeKit?
      I've got a gen 1 echo in an open plan kitchen dining area.

I'm the opposite of an apple fan boi so can't offer you a comparison

but I'm building my "smarthome" bits around the echo & Alexa, I've got a Sonos Amp with some ceiling speakers connected to it. the software integration between Sonos & the echo has been promised since the start of the year, it only got released in Beta form in Oct I think

it offers limited features at the moment but can only imagine this will increase with future releases,

I also have a shed load of Philips Hue lights integrated with Echo, this is more about showing off rather than practically calling Alexa to turn the lights on or off, it's quicker to do from my phone which is always to hand

I'm also in the process of installing a Nest thermostat which also integrates

I like our echo, it's really good for adding items to a grocery list, and the kids love it as it'll play music they like or answer homework questions (although it does use Bing search so don't always get the greatest results)

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        if there is a cheap Echo Dot as part of the Black Friday deals from Amazon I might make the jump
        £34.99 rather than £49.99
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
          I also have a shed load of Philips Hue lights integrated with Echo, this is more about showing off rather than practically calling Alexa to turn the lights on or off, it's quicker to do from my phone which is always to hand
          Which I am sure is faster than hitting the light switch on the way past
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Which I am sure is faster than hitting the light switch on the way past
            It's quite good for lamps etc. When I'm locking up before bed it's quite convenient to switch all the lights off downstairs without going round.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              It's quite good for lamps etc. When I'm locking up before bed it's quite convenient to switch all the lights off downstairs without going round.
              well I can call out to turn the kids bedroom lights off without interrupting the contours of my backside on the sofa

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
                well I can call out to turn the kids bedroom lights off without interrupting the contours of my backside on the sofa
                Well, it does seem a rather expensive alternative to have a child, raise it, feed it etc just to turn the lights off. But seems to be working for you.

Comment

Do any of these systems work solely over your home WiFi without having to round-trip through the internet? That's the one annoyance with the otherwise-seemingly-great Honeywell Evohome system.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    Well, it does seem a rather expensive alternative to have a child, raise it, feed it etc just to turn the lights off. But seems to be working for you.
                    I'm saving calories

Comment

Working...
                    X