• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Network music drive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I've got Amazon Prime for streaming music I don't like that aspect of it too much - I like to be able to "thumb through" my album collection until I see something I like. Having the entire world of music at my fingertips, I might be stuck what to pick Amazon lets you add Prime (free) stuff to your collection, no idea about Spotify?

Also, Amazon streaming music is flaky for me which makes me dubious. On both iOS and Android devices it gets the odd stutter and sometimes playback will just hang until I skip to the next track. Which is crazy with Fibre... bad developers I reckon.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      While I've got Amazon Prime for streaming music I don't like that aspect of it too much - I like to be able to "thumb through" my album collection until I see something I like. Having the entire world of music at my fingertips, I might be stuck what to pick Amazon lets you add Prime (free) stuff to your collection, no idea about Spotify?

Also, Amazon streaming music is flaky for me which makes me dubious. On both iOS and Android devices it gets the odd stutter and sometimes playback will just hang until I skip to the next track. Which is crazy with Fibre... bad developers I reckon.
      If you are in Virgin fibre I'm finding it far more flaky than it used to be with very short term (seconds) routing issues that would cause that sort of problem.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Never had a problem with Spotify, both at home and out and about.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

BT. But I still blame the software... streaming should be fundamentally designed to come with crappy network conditions since so many people use it on their phones. I imagine it is something like you describe... every now and then a page load stalls but is 99% of the time lightning quick?

Comment

Odd, I have had no issues with streaming Amazon Prime music, whether at home on a crappy DSL, random WiFi here and there or 3G/4G. If the mobile signal goes too weak the playback just stops and tries to buffer, no constant stutter or crackle or w/e. that's on PC, Mac, Sonos, iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              +1 unless you want to go fully online with apple music or Spotify you need a NAS of some form. Personally I would go for a HP microserver and create your own but I understand a desire to buy one install it and run that for ever more.
              This.

My music is mostly in Dropbox which is then syncronised with a folder on my NAS. Sonos then accesses that shared folder as well to build the library.
              First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                Odd, I have had no issues with streaming Amazon Prime music, whether at home on a crappy DSL, random WiFi here and there or 3G/4G. If the mobile signal goes too weak the playback just stops and tries to buffer, no constant stutter or crackle or w/e. that's on PC, Mac, Sonos, iPhone
                The stutter is only a very slight one, every now and then... just enough to be noticeable.

Playback stopping and buffering if there's an issue is annoying but fine... but in my case it never seems to fix itself. It will sit buffering forever until I sort it. When listening to music in the bath that's a PITA if you don't want to get a wet phone

So NAS... he's one of the artists I can listen to? Hiphop yes?

Comment

Dlink Sharecenter 320 (or higher)

Will support DNLA, SMB Squeezebox & others.

takes 2 drives as raid + external.

~£50.

Can do TVheadend, rsync, torrents and many more.

DNS-320L ShareCenterâ„¢ 2-Bay Cloud Network Storage Enclosure | D-Link UK

I have 2 and they have never faltered. my netgear stora & buffalos I'm sorry to say are flaky.

I stream Amazon as well but I like my >18,000 tracks when I fancy loud & proud rock, Amazon doesn't have the same taste.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                  X