• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ramdisks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sal View Post
    Here is a thought - why doesn't the said trading platform keep the files that it just read in the memory pages of the RAM natively? Why would it need to write them in a RAM disk "file system" during optimization? It makes no sense, you are just trying to make tulip up for the sake of argument...
    It's a 32bit only application, guess what that means for the maximum RAM available?
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 13 January 2017, 15:37.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Did you not read my previous answer FFS?

It's like saying hey, why doesn't the software you are writing now read the whole database (500TB) into RAM now and speed it up?

IT full of ******* know it alls.
      If you have enough RAM to put something in the RAM disk, you can use the very same RAM as intended and keep the data in the memory pages. Your 500TB argument is irrelevant here.

It's a 32bit only application, guess what that means for the maximum RAM available?
      There are ways for a 32bit application to address more than 4GB of RAM all better than resorting to a RAM drive.

you are just trying to make tulip up for the sake of argument...
      All this hypothetical system that can benefit from RAM drive is irrelevant to the OP

Comment

If you have enough RAM to put something in the RAM disk, you can use the very same RAM as intended and keep the data in the memory pages. Your 500TB argument is irrelevant here.

There are ways for a 32bit application to address more than 4GB of RAM all better than resorting to a RAM drive.

Comment

The architects of the trading system wrote the software many years ago when 4GB was considered all the RAM you would ever need. It is closed source and they aren't changing it. Consequently it reads the data from disk, streaming, chunks at a time and is VERY slow.

Using a RAM disk you can speed this up 1000x times.

But hey, no one needs a RAM disk ever do they?
          Well, I never said "ever", but is a ******* horrendous way of doing things and an absolute bodge at best.

Just out of curiosity - how is data integrity maintained on this system?

Comment

Can't be arsed with you idiots.

Yeah, a 32bit app can load in 32GB into RAM, course it can.

FFS, I pity the people that are forced to work with you idiotic winkers.

Comment

Can't be arsed with you idiots.

Yeah, a 32bit app can load in 32GB into RAM, course it can.

FFS, I pity the people that are forced to work with you idiotic winkers.
              Can you at least admit it's a horrible bodge, though? (And answer my question about data integrity?)

P.S., was this a real thing or just hypothetical? Cos that really does sound absolutely awful.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                Can you at least admit it's a horrible bodge, though? (And answer my question about data integrity?)

P.S., was this a real thing or just hypothetical? Cos that really does sound absolutely awful.
                It's a real thing. Christ on a bike, there are 32 bit only applications out there still. I know you 6 year olds think everything now is a cloud lambda function written in Erlang, but here's a surprise, there's stuff written 10 years ago that still works and is being used.

WTF does "data integrity" in this context even mean? Something a grown up once told you?

Comment

It's like saying hey, why doesn't the software you are writing now read the whole database (500TB) into RAM now and speed it up?....
                  Mine does - it's SAP HANA in-memory database.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    just out of curiosity - how is data integrity maintained on this system?
                    ECC

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Mine does - it's SAP HANA in-memory database.
                      As I alluded to just earlier.

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      This +1.

A number of friends are now working with this:-

SAP HANA, express edition
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X