• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ramdisks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Mine does - it's SAP HANA in-memory database.
    SAP HANA does NOT use RAM disk.

With RAM disk you still have to go via block driver, which got a lot of overheads.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

With RAM disk you still have to go via block driver, which got a lot of overheads.

HTH
      Very true.

Very different beasts, HANA uses direct memory and has nothing to do with and does not use RAM disk.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        It's a real thing. Christ on a bike, there are 32 bit only applications out there still. I know you 6 year olds think everything now is a cloud lambda function written in Erlang, but here's a surprise, there's stuff written 10 years ago that still works and is being used.

WTF does "data integrity" in this context even mean? Something a grown up once told you?
        Don't get tetchy sweety, I'm not quite that young and a not insignificant amount of my time is spent getting legacy LOB apps playing nice.

In this context - what happens when the server goes wonky and crashes, what happens to the data in the ram drive? How does the data get to the ram drive in the first place? How does it get back to nv storage if it changes?

I'm not disputing it as A solution, it just sounds nasty to me. I've done nasty things too, you don't need to take it personally. I am genuinely curious as to how you get around the above.
        Last edited by vwdan; 13 January 2017, 18:59.

Comment

You need to forgive DimPrawn - most of his work is supporting legacy applications written in VB6...

Comment

Originally posted by zazou View Post
            Is anyone here using that technology?

I did a bit of googling today but didn't quite get the feeling I found 'the market' leading product nor is this widely used. I'll be checking out a few candidates. Thinking of setting up a ramdisk for caching, e.g. internet browsers.

Interested in seeing if people use it and what for.
            "Private Browsing Mode" or similar is all you need for keeping your browsing history off your computer.

Comment

You need to forgive DimPrawn - most of his work is supporting legacy applications written in VB6...
              See, now I just feel bad. Leta start a GoFundMe!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                See, now I just feel bad. Leta start a GoFundMe!
                DimPrawn says GoFundYourself...

Comment

HTH
                  Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Very true.

Very different beasts, HANA uses direct memory and has nothing to do with and does not use RAM disk.
                  Err... check the context of my comment:

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  It's like saying hey, why doesn't the software you are writing now read the whole database (500TB) into RAM now and speed it up?....
                  Mine does - it's SAP HANA in-memory database.
                  No mention of RAM drive there. Just about reading a whole db into RAM. Which is exactly what HANA does. Other in memory databases are available. The first one I saw was in ~95, on an Alpha workstation. 2GB! woooooo.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Err... check the context of my comment:

No mention of RAM drive there. Just about reading a whole db into RAM. Which is exactly what HANA does. Other in memory databases are available. The first one I saw was in ~95, on an Alpha workstation. 2GB! woooooo.
                    I was the one that actually mentioned HANA in the first instance and my comment was not directed at you NAT, in any case
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      Ah, 640kb, we dreamed of that.

First thing I programmed didn't have a ram disk.

In fact it didn't have any disks, floppy, hard, or ram.

And it had 4k of core, with tape punches and tape readers and an ASR33.

Dear dead days beyond any recall.

I think the next box was a Commodore PET.

Which had a built in cassette.
                      Built in cassette? We had tin cans on a string...

Comment

Working...
                      X