• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommend a MIFI temporary wifi thingy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a MIFI temporary wifi thingy

My daughter's coming to visit at Xmas and she'll be staying in my townhouse where there's a landline but no broadband.
    She's a heavy internet user so I'd like to provide her with a one-off month's worth of wifi. Maybe 10GB or so.

Anyone recommend a device/package? I'd like not to get tied into a contract, as it's just for this visit.
    cheers

A 4G GiffGaff connection perhaps? There's no contract.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

If she can get a decent mobile signal from the house then adding an additional data bundle and then tethering may be an option. I have done it over 4G and it's decent for basic workloads.

Comment

When I was between providers, I went through 40GB in 10 days.
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

I got a 3 MiFi for when the summer road trip in Europe (free roaming). Dead handy and it's just been pressed into service for navigating around New York too. You can get them on a 30 day contract or just buy the device and load a 12gb topup for £30

Comment

For the actual device, I have an unlocked Alcatel Y800, rock solid bit of kit.

Fir the provider it will have to be a PAYG, check to see which offers the best signal as that will be the key rather than cost I would imagine.
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

There are some land line no contract broadband offers - linky wheer you can pay only for 1 month

Comment

EE and 3 were the ones I found doing proper PAYG rather than having to cancel a contract. A MiFi router will cost £50-70 but as mentioned, tethering via the phone might be the best option.

And as also mentioned - yes you can eat data remarkably fast these days. Make sure you turn Netflix, Amazon, etc, down to lower quality and you'll still easily surpass 1Gb/day with only a few hours use.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

After many many years my Alcatel Y800 has died an honourable death, what is the best to replace with these days, or should I just get another of the same
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I've been impressed by this:

TP-Link 4G LTE-Advanced Mobile Wi-Fi Router/Hotspot ((M7350) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PFXFWTQ
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X