• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Recommend a MIFI temporary wifi thingy"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    Went with the Zyxel, so far very impressed with it

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I assume you mean the TP-Link M7350, that is only a Cat 4 rather than a Cat 6 (4G compared to 4G+) might as well make it future proof as the last one lasted me years.

I was looking at the Huawei E5786, but in honest the number convention makes little to no sense, out of left field the Zyxel WAH7706 gets good review
    My viewpoint is that one was £60 the other was £160 (at the time) and not in stock when I needed it. The price saving and availability won over increased speed

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I've got one of https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E557...&keywords=mifi

Both the tp-link or Huawei will do what you want you just need to pick one...
    I assume you mean the TP-Link M7350, that is only a Cat 4 rather than a Cat 6 (4G compared to 4G+) might as well make it future proof as the last one lasted me years.

I was looking at the Huawei E5786, but in honest the number convention makes little to no sense, out of left field the Zyxel WAH7706 gets good review

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Can you not just use your phone?
    I like having a second device for internet when I am out with the family and we can all connect to one mobile router, also when I am on clients site that don't have guest wifi.

I am on a legacy three tariff which gives me 15gb a month dirt cheap

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I've got one of https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E557...&keywords=mifi

Both the tp-link or Huawei will do what you want you just need to pick one...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    After many many years my Alcatel Y800 has died an honourable death, what is the best to replace with these days, or should I just get another of the same
    Can you not just use your phone?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I've been impressed by this:

TP-Link 4G LTE-Advanced Mobile Wi-Fi Router/Hotspot ((M7350) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PFXFWTQ

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    After many many years my Alcatel Y800 has died an honourable death, what is the best to replace with these days, or should I just get another of the same

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    EE and 3 were the ones I found doing proper PAYG rather than having to cancel a contract. A MiFi router will cost £50-70 but as mentioned, tethering via the phone might be the best option.

And as also mentioned - yes you can eat data remarkably fast these days. Make sure you turn Netflix, Amazon, etc, down to lower quality and you'll still easily surpass 1Gb/day with only a few hours use.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    There are some land line no contract broadband offers - linky wheer you can pay only for 1 month

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    For the actual device, I have an unlocked Alcatel Y800, rock solid bit of kit.

Fir the provider it will have to be a PAYG, check to see which offers the best signal as that will be the key rather than cost I would imagine.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    I got a 3 MiFi for when the summer road trip in Europe (free roaming). Dead handy and it's just been pressed into service for navigating around New York too. You can get them on a 30 day contract or just buy the device and load a 12gb topup for £30

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    When I was between providers, I went through 40GB in 10 days.

Leave a comment:

• Einstein Jnr
    replied
    If she can get a decent mobile signal from the house then adding an additional data bundle and then tethering may be an option. I have done it over 4G and it's decent for basic workloads.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    A 4G GiffGaff connection perhaps? There's no contract.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X