• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solutions to backup/sync folders on mac OSX to NAS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solutions to backup/sync folders on mac OSX to NAS?

Hi all,

I currently have a Synology NAS (soon to be replaced by QNAP or HP Gen8 Microserver).

I have a Macbook which I tend to manually copy the Itunes library & Photos folder over to the NAS once a month for backup. This is tedious and involves manually delete & recopy of the folders.

I know Synology (or other NAS solutions) have a Time machine function but I am not so keen on full system backup just because I am interested in two folders....

So what other software is available on the mac to allow syncing/backing up my folders to the NAS?

Thanks

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    Hi all,

I currently have a Synology NAS (soon to be replaced by QNAP or HP Gen8 Microserver).

I have a Macbook which I tend to manually copy the Itunes library & Photos folder over to the NAS once a month for backup. This is tedious and involves manually delete & recopy of the folders.

I know Synology (or other NAS solutions) have a Time machine function but I am not so keen on full system backup just because I am interested in two folders....

So what other software is available on the mac to allow syncing/backing up my folders to the NAS?

Thanks
    rsync?
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper.....

Comment

I've used chronosync before and found it pretty decent.

Mac Sync & Backup Software | Econ Technologies
        Still Invoicing

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks
          I would have another think about Time machine, its a great little bit of kit, so easy to restore, automated, you can select what folders you want to back up, but unless space is an issue I would always recommend doing it all
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Thanks,

I have just had a brief read on Carbon copy and Super Duper and they are more of a Drive backup solution rather than folder/file sync

chronosync looks exacly like what I want. I will have buy 3 licences at $60 per osx machine ...

A quick read on the rsync manual shows that a single command line with do the job. I might have to look at building a shell script around this to make the task more robust

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              I would have another think about Time machine, its a great little bit of kit, so easy to restore, automated, you can select what folders you want to back up, but unless space is an issue I would always recommend doing it all
              Post selection of only folders of interest, I thought that TM will end up adding other new files on the filesystem not detected at the time of selection?

I tend to also backup my 4TB NAS to 2*2TB portable USB HDD so a full Time Machine backup will blow my space requirements ...

Comment

Thanks,

I have just had a brief read on Carbon copy and Super Duper and they are more of a Drive backup solution rather than folder/file sync

chronosync looks exacly like what I want. I will have buy 3 licences at $60 per osx machine ...

A quick read on the rsync manual shows that a single command line with do the job. I might have to look at building a shell script around this to make the task more robust
                CCC does ryscing too.

Chronosync server doesn't run as a daemon (or didn't) - got fed up with starting it.

Also Time Machine deletes files when the disk gets full so watch it for that.

Comment

Goodsync works pretty well. It's a file and folder sync and has many features.

My only issue is the regularity with which they release updates.

And another comment: if you have it wake up periodically to sync, then it "wakes up" the NAS perhaps more often than you might wish. This would be true for all sync s/w of course.

EDIT: if your syncing is undemanding, Goodsync has a free version
                  http://www.goodsync.com/free-vs-pro
                  Last edited by Platypus; 11 May 2016, 14:46.

Comment

Just having a look around and found this one - FreeFileSync - Free Backup and File Synchronization Software might be worth checking out...

I do like rsync though.

Comment

Working...
                    X