• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Solutions to backup/sync folders on mac OSX to NAS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solutions to backup/sync folders on mac OSX to NAS?

Hi all,

I currently have a Synology NAS (soon to be replaced by QNAP or HP Gen8 Microserver).

I have a Macbook which I tend to manually copy the Itunes library & Photos folder over to the NAS once a month for backup. This is tedious and involves manually delete & recopy of the folders.

I know Synology (or other NAS solutions) have a Time machine function but I am not so keen on full system backup just because I am interested in two folders....

So what other software is available on the mac to allow syncing/backing up my folders to the NAS?

Thanks

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    Hi all,

I currently have a Synology NAS (soon to be replaced by QNAP or HP Gen8 Microserver).

I have a Macbook which I tend to manually copy the Itunes library & Photos folder over to the NAS once a month for backup. This is tedious and involves manually delete & recopy of the folders.

I know Synology (or other NAS solutions) have a Time machine function but I am not so keen on full system backup just because I am interested in two folders....

So what other software is available on the mac to allow syncing/backing up my folders to the NAS?

Thanks
    rsync?
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper.....

Comment

I've used chronosync before and found it pretty decent.

Mac Sync & Backup Software | Econ Technologies
        Still Invoicing

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks
          I would have another think about Time machine, its a great little bit of kit, so easy to restore, automated, you can select what folders you want to back up, but unless space is an issue I would always recommend doing it all
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Thanks,

I have just had a brief read on Carbon copy and Super Duper and they are more of a Drive backup solution rather than folder/file sync

chronosync looks exacly like what I want. I will have buy 3 licences at $60 per osx machine ...

A quick read on the rsync manual shows that a single command line with do the job. I might have to look at building a shell script around this to make the task more robust

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              I would have another think about Time machine, its a great little bit of kit, so easy to restore, automated, you can select what folders you want to back up, but unless space is an issue I would always recommend doing it all
              Post selection of only folders of interest, I thought that TM will end up adding other new files on the filesystem not detected at the time of selection?

I tend to also backup my 4TB NAS to 2*2TB portable USB HDD so a full Time Machine backup will blow my space requirements ...

Comment

Thanks,

I have just had a brief read on Carbon copy and Super Duper and they are more of a Drive backup solution rather than folder/file sync

chronosync looks exacly like what I want. I will have buy 3 licences at $60 per osx machine ...

A quick read on the rsync manual shows that a single command line with do the job. I might have to look at building a shell script around this to make the task more robust
                CCC does ryscing too.

Chronosync server doesn't run as a daemon (or didn't) - got fed up with starting it.

Also Time Machine deletes files when the disk gets full so watch it for that.

Comment

Goodsync works pretty well. It's a file and folder sync and has many features.

My only issue is the regularity with which they release updates.

And another comment: if you have it wake up periodically to sync, then it "wakes up" the NAS perhaps more often than you might wish. This would be true for all sync s/w of course.

EDIT: if your syncing is undemanding, Goodsync has a free version
                  http://www.goodsync.com/free-vs-pro
                  Last edited by Platypus; 11 May 2016, 14:46.

Comment

Just having a look around and found this one - FreeFileSync - Free Backup and File Synchronization Software might be worth checking out...

I do like rsync though.

Comment

Working...
                    X